Protons Neutrons and Electrons in a neutron star

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
vinceclortho
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

I am preparing for PhD quals and have been looking at problems from other universities. I came across this one and am stumped on how to tackle it.

" Assume that the neutron density in a neutron star is 30.1/fm (that is 0.1 neutron per
cubic Fermi). Assuming T=0 and ignoring any gravitational forces calculate the ratio of
neutrons to protons to electrons.Hint: determine their Fermi energy."

Even with the hint not sure.

I would appreciate any thoughts!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
vinceclortho said:
Hi All,

I am preparing for PhD quals and have been looking at problems from other universities. I came across this one and am stumped on how to tackle it.

" Assume that the neutron density in a neutron star is 30.1/fm (that is 0.1 neutron per
cubic Fermi). Assuming T=0 and ignoring any gravitational forces calculate the ratio of
neutrons to protons to electrons.Hint: determine their Fermi energy."

Even with the hint not sure.

I would appreciate any thoughts!
It would seem like a static problem. T = 0 means no kinetic energy, and ignoring gravity ostensibly means ignoring pressure.