Prove: A 2x2 matrix is nonsingular if and only if the determinant = 0

In summary, the conversation is about proving that a 2x2 matrix is nonsingular if and only if the determinant is not equal to 0. One person suggests using the fact that a matrix is nonsingular if and only if it is row equivalent to the identity matrix, while another person suggests using the fact that a matrix is singular if one column is a multiple of the other. They also discuss using cofactor expansions and finding the inverse of a matrix. The conversation ends with a mention of ensuring that the product of two matrices is equal to the identity matrix.
superdave

Homework Statement

Prove: A 2x2 matrix is nonsingular if and only if the determinant != 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to prove this, using logic and maybe the theorem that a n x n matrix is nonsingular if and only if it is row equivalent to I_n.

I could use a push in the right direction. I need to show a proof for both ways, as it is an if and only if statement.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no linear algebra expert, but I would start by writing that if the matrix is written:
a b
c d

Then it's singular if a = x*b and c=x*d (or a=x*c and b=x*d), and work my way to the formula for the determinant.

AngrySaki said:
Then it's singular if a = x*b and c=x*d (or a=x*c and b=x*d)

Ok, but where does this come from?

It would come from the fact that if the matrix is singular, then column one a multiple of the other (or one row is a multiple of the other). Maybe this isn't how it's supposed to be done though, so you might be better off waiting for somebody else's ideas than going off mine :/

For one direction, assume matrix A is invertible. Then there is matrix B such that AB=1, where 1 is identity matrix. Take the determinant of both sides of AB=1.

For the other direction, assume det A is invertible. Using the determinant and cofactor expansions, you can find a nice form for the inverse of A

I probably should have mentioned. I don't have the definition of the determinant to work with.

the problem actually says Show that the 2 x 2 matrix A is nonsingular if and only if ad-bc != 0.

I've figured out the If matrix A is nonsingular, then ab-bc != 0 side. I just need the if ad - bc != 0, Matrix A is nonsingular side.

Last edited:
Given matrices of the form
a b = A
c d

and

d -b = B
-c a

How can you ensure AB=1?

1. What does it mean for a matrix to be nonsingular?

For a matrix to be nonsingular, it means that it has an inverse. In other words, it can be multiplied by another matrix to produce the identity matrix.

2. What is a 2x2 matrix?

A 2x2 matrix is a matrix with two rows and two columns. It is represented in the form [a b; c d], where a, b, c, and d are real numbers.

3. How do you calculate the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix is calculated by subtracting the product of the elements in the main diagonal from the product of the elements in the other diagonal. In other words, it is calculated as ad - bc.

4. Why does the determinant need to equal 0 for a 2x2 matrix to be nonsingular?

If the determinant of a 2x2 matrix is 0, it means that the matrix is not invertible. This is because the inverse of a matrix can only exist if the determinant is not 0.

5. Can a 2x2 matrix be nonsingular if the determinant is not 0?

No, a 2x2 matrix can only be nonsingular if the determinant is 0. If the determinant is not 0, it means that the matrix is invertible and therefore, singular.