Prove: angular momentum is preserved

In summary, to prove the conservation of angular momentum in the z axis, one can use the key equation ##\dot{P_{\phi}} = 0## and show that ##P_{\phi}## is equal to ##L_z##. This can be done by using the equation ##-\frac{\partial H}{\partial \phi}=m(x\dot{y}-y\dot{x})## and substituting in the values for ##x=rsin\theta cos\phi, y=rsin\theta sin\phi##.
Gbox
Homework Statement
A particle of mass ##m## is moving in a central field with potential ##V(r)## the lagrangian in Spherical coordinate is ##l=\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{r}^2+r^2\dot{\theta}^2+r^2sin^2\theta\dot{\phi}^2)-V(r)##
Relevant Equations
##P_i=\frac{\partial }{(\partial \dot{p}_i )}##

##H(p,q)=\sum_(i=1)^n(p_i\cdot \dot{r}_i)-L##

##\dot{q}=\frac{\partial H}{(\partial p_i )}##

##\dot{p}_i=\frac{-\partial H}{(\partial q_i }##
3. Find the hamilton equations
4. using 3. prove the the angular momentum in the z axis ##L_z=m(x\dot y-xy\dot)## is preserved.

I got in ##3##:

How can I prove 4?

Physics news on Phys.org
The key equation is ##\dot{P_{\phi}} = 0## as that represents a conservation law.

You also have an equation for ##P_{\phi}## there. Can you show that is equal to ##L_z##?

Likes Gbox
PeroK said:
The key equation is ##\dot{P_{\phi}} = 0## as that represents a conservation law.

You also have an equation for ##P_{\phi}## there. Can you show that is equal to ##L_z##?
Do you mean
##-\frac{\partial H}{\partial \phi}=m(x\dot{y}-y\dot{x})##

Where ##x=rsin\theta cos\phi, y=rsin\theta sin\phi##?

Gbox said:
Do you mean
##-\frac{\partial H}{\partial \phi}=m(x\dot{y}-y\dot{x})##

Where ##x=rsin\theta cos\phi, y=rsin\theta sin\phi##?

I mean your third equation below.

Gbox said:

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object as it rotates around an axis.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate at which an object rotates around an axis).

3. Why is angular momentum important?

Angular momentum is an important concept in physics because it is conserved, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of rotating objects.

4. How is angular momentum preserved?

Angular momentum is preserved due to the law of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that any changes in one part of the system will be compensated by changes in another part, keeping the total angular momentum constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular momentum?

Some examples of angular momentum in everyday life include spinning tops, rotating planets, and the motion of a gyroscope. In sports, angular momentum is also important in activities such as ice skating, figure skating, and gymnastics.