Prove Ax=w is consistent

• Thread starter ykaire
  • Start date
In summary: Ax=w. Therefore, Ax=w is consistent. In summary, we have proven that the equation Ax=w is consistent given the conditions A∈ Μ4,3, v1, v2 ∈ R^4, and u1, u2 ∈ R^3.
ykaire
1. Let A∈ Μ4,3
(that is, a 4 x 3 matrix). Let v1, v2 ∈ R^4 and let w = v1 +v2. Suppose there exists u1, u2 as an element of R^3 such that v1 = Au1 and v2= Au2
prove the Ax=w is consistent

Homework Equations

3.i honestly don't know if I'm doing this correctly at all, but this is what I have done so far:
Ax=w where A is a 4x3 matrix.
Ax=v1 + v2
Ax=Au1 + Au2
then i don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ykaire said:
1. Let A∈ Μ4,3
(that is, a 4 x 3 matrix). Let v1, v2 ∈ R^4 and let w = v1 +v2. Suppose there exists u1, u2 as an element of R^3 such that v1 = Au1 and v2= Au2
prove the Ax=w is consistent

Homework Equations

3.i honestly don't know if I'm doing this correctly at all, but this is what I have done so far:
Ax=w where A is a 4x3 matrix.
Ax=v1 + v2
Ax=Au1 + Au2
then i don't know what to do.

Well, can you write [itex]Au_1 + Au_2[/itex] another way?

jbunniii said:
Well, can you write [itex]Au_1 + Au_2[/itex] another way?

I guess I could write the equation as

x= u1 + u2

but, like i said, i don't even know if i even started the problem off correctly.

Well, what is Ax= A(u1+ u2)?

HallsofIvy said:
Well, what is Ax= A(u1+ u2)?

it reduces to x= u1 + u2

1. How do you prove that Ax=w is consistent?

To prove that Ax=w is consistent, you can use the method of Gaussian elimination to transform the coefficient matrix A into its reduced row echelon form. If there are no inconsistent equations or rows of zeros in the resulting matrix, then the system is consistent and Ax=w has at least one solution.

2. What does it mean for Ax=w to be consistent?

A system of linear equations is consistent if it has at least one solution. In the case of Ax=w, this means that there is at least one set of values for the unknown variables that satisfies all of the equations in the system.

3. What if Ax=w is not consistent?

If Ax=w is not consistent, then there are no values for the unknown variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system. This means that the system has no solution and is considered inconsistent.

4. Can you prove the consistency of Ax=w without using Gaussian elimination?

Yes, there are other methods for proving the consistency of a system of linear equations, such as using determinants or matrix inverses. However, Gaussian elimination is the most commonly used method as it is straightforward and efficient.

5. Why is it important to prove the consistency of Ax=w?

Proving the consistency of Ax=w is important because it ensures that the system of equations has at least one solution, making it possible to solve for the unknown variables. This is essential in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering, where systems of equations are used to model real-world phenomena.