How do I prove |cosa - cosb| <= |a-b|?

• Thread starter FlorenceC
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving a question involving the integral of the absolute value of the difference between two cosine values. The person attempting the question suggests using the substitution rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus, but later realizes a quicker solution using the mean value theorem. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use the mean value theorem for a simpler proof.
FlorenceC

Homework Statement

I have no idea how to approach this question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose ∫ |cosa - cosb| < = |a-b|
sinb-sina <= b^2/2 - a^2/2
but now what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm. I figured it out, it's a subtle trick with MVT

Since it looks like you've found a solution ... assuming ##a\leq b## gives $$\left|\int_a^b\sin x\ \mathrm{d}x\right|\leq\int_a^b|\sin x|\ \mathrm{d}x\leq\int_a^b1\ \mathrm{d}x$$.
If ##a>b##, you just need to flip the limits on the last two integrals. The desired inequality isn't too incredibly difficult to get from there.

I like the MVT proof better, though. It's, like, one step.

FAQ: How do I prove |cosa - cosb| <= |a-b|?

1. What does the equation "Prove |cosa - cosb| <= |a-b|" mean?

The equation is asking for proof that the absolute value of the difference between the cosine of angle a and the cosine of angle b is less than or equal to the absolute value of the difference between a and b.

2. Why is this equation important?

This equation is important because it is a fundamental concept in trigonometry and can be used to solve various problems related to angles and their corresponding cosines.

3. How can I prove this equation?

There are various methods to prove this equation, including using the triangle inequality, the Pythagorean identity, or the mean value theorem for derivatives.

4. What are some real-life applications of this equation?

This equation has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. It can be used to calculate the distance between two points using their coordinates, determine the tension in a rope, or predict the motion of a pendulum.

5. Are there any exceptions to this equation?

Yes, there are exceptions to this equation. For example, if a and b are equal, the equation becomes |cosa - cosb| <= 0, which is always true. However, if a and b are close to each other but not equal, the equation may not hold true due to rounding errors.