Prove f(x) = sin(x^2) isn't periodic

• Thread starter Korisnik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Periodic
In summary: For x = \sqrt{\pi}, the function is periodic iff \pi = \pi + T^2 / 4. But that means T^2 = 4m (m is any integer) and there is no integer solution for that. So the function isn't periodic. In summary, the function f(x) = sin(x^2) is not periodic because there is no constant value T that can be added to x to produce the same function output. This can be proven by using the fact that sin(x^2) = sin((x + t)^2) does not imply that x^2 = (x + t)^2, and by showing that the
Korisnik
Member warned about posting homework questions w/o the template
Prove f(x) = sin(x^2) isn't periodic.

f is periodic if f(x + t) = f(x) for all x in f's domain.

I know about 1 way of proving it by derivative and boundedness but is this another way?

If f is periodic then
sin(x^2) = sin((x + t)^2)
Finding t:
(I don't know the proper way of doing this, maybe I ought to add + 2kpi)
x^2=x^2 +2xt + t^2
(I could square root it but it's the same)
t(t + 2x) = 0
t1 = 0 or t2 = -2x

t > 0 so t1 isn't.
t(x) = -2x, but t can't be dependant on x, as it needs to be constant, so t2 isn't a solutio . So I have proved the hipothesis.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you said, your function is periodic iff there is ##T>0## such that ##f(x+T) = f(x)## for all real ##x##.
Assume ##f## is periodic. If you set ##x = 0##, what constraint does it impose on ##T## ? Now if ##x = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} ##, does your function conserve its periodicity with the T you just found ?

Hi Korisnik:

Unfortunately your proof is flawed.
sin(x^2) = sin((x + t)^2) does not imply that x^2 = (x + t)^2.

I have not found a proof, but I have two suggestions that you might try. However, I am not sure either will be helpful.

1. Use the formula for sin(a+b).

2. Use the formula expressing sin(a) in terms of eia and e-ia.

ADDED
My apologies. I haven't done proofs for many decades. Geoffrey has the suggested the right approach.

Regards,
Buzz

geoffrey159 said:
As you said, your function is periodic iff there is ##T>0## such that ##f(x+T) = f(x)## for all real ##x##.
Assume ##f## is periodic. If you set ##x = 0##, what constraint does it impose on ##T## ? Now if ##x = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} ##, does your function conserve its periodicity with the T you just found ?
Alright, so ##T = \sqrt{k\pi}, k\in\mathbb{Z}##, as ##T>0##. Now ##x = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}## so ##f\left(\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\right) = 1## and ##f\left(\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} + \sqrt{k\pi}\right) = \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2} + k\pi +2\pi\sqrt{\frac{k}{2}}\right)## which will equal ##1## iff ##\frac{\pi}{2} + k\pi +2\pi\sqrt{\frac{k}{2}} = \frac{\pi}{2}+2k\pi ##. The solutions are ##0## and ##2##. If ##k = 0## ## T = 0##. For ##k = 2## ##T = \sqrt{2\pi}##. Now ##f\left(\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}\right) = 1 = f\left(\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}} + \sqrt{2\pi}\right)## So the function is periodic?

I checked for ##x = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{4}}## and it didn't work, so I guess it isn't periodic then. Is this now an okay proof or still no?

Hi Korisnik:

Yes, you have a proof now. But you may want to restructure it a little for clarity.

Step 1 assumes x=0. From this you find all the possible values of T that could possible be the period: T=√kπ, k any integer but 0.
Step 2 assumes x = √π/2. This reduces the possible periods to +/- √2π.
Step 3 assumes x = √π/4. This shows that neither t = +√2π nor t=-√2π are a period.

Regards,
Buzz

If ## x = 0 ##, you want to solve ## \sin (T^2) = 0 ## and ## T > 0 ##. Therefore ##T^2 \in \{ k\pi,\ k\in\mathbb{N}-\{0\} \}##. So there is an integer ## k \ge 1 ## such that ##T = \sqrt{k\pi}##.

Now if ##x = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}## and ##f## is periodic, you must have ##1=f(x) = f(x+T) = (-1)^k \cos(\sqrt{2k}\pi ) ##. Now you see that ##\sqrt{2k}## is odd when ##k## is odd and even when ##k## is even.
What can you say depending on the parity of ##k## ?

Essentially, this boils down to the fact that squaring is not linear.
Assume a period exists. Call it T.
Then sin((kT)^2) = 0. Great. So T^2 is a period of the sine function.
For any x, sin((x+kT)^2) = sin(x^2).
But, sin((x+kT)^2) = sin(x^2 + 2kTx +(kT)^2 ). Since T^2 is a period of the sine function, you can say that this is also equal to sin(x^2 + 2kTx).
I am pretty sure it doesn't take too many steps to show that 2kTx can't be a period of sin(x) since it is a function of x.

Hi Korisnik:

I apologize again. At my age I have become too careless to do proofs, so I will stay out of this thread after this,

Since my quotes of equations get messed up, I have reproduced below an equation from your post #4:

π/2 + kπ +2π√(k/2) = π/2 + 2kπ​

The error you made (which I failed to catch before) is assuming that the k variable on the left hand side is the same as the k variable on the right hand side. These two k's need not be the same value. Therefore your conclusion that k must be 0 or 2 is wrong.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes Korisnik
Thanks for catching that.
geoffrey159 said:
Now if ##x = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2}}## and ##f## is periodic, you must have ##1=f(x) = f(x+T) = (-1)^k \cos(\sqrt{2k}\pi ) ##. Now you see that ##\sqrt{2k}## is odd when ##k## is odd and even when ##k## is even.
What can you say depending on the parity of ##k## ?
I'm not sure what you mean by that, as decimal numbers (possibly square root of 2k) don't have parity. The obvious is that the sign changes depending on k.

Right, the sign changes and ##\sqrt{2k}## must be a positive integer of the same parity than ##k##.
Show it can't be odd. This will give you another constraint on the period, assuming it does exist.
Finally, try the case ##x=\sqrt{\pi}##, and you will get an absurd result which will prove that the hypothesis of periodicity is false.

geoffrey159 said:
Right, the sign changes and ##\sqrt{2k}## must be a positive integer of the same parity than ##k##.
Show it can't be odd. This will give you another constraint on the period, assuming it does exist.
Finally, try the case ##x=\sqrt{\pi}##, and you will get an absurd result which will prove that the hypothesis of periodicity is false.
2k = 4t^2, t \in Z, so k is even.
2k = 4t^2 + 4t + 1, so now 2 times k is an odd number, which it can't be, as k is integer: 2k = 2(2t^2 + 2t) + 1 = 2m + 1 (t and m aren't specified, but are integers). And we know that odd squared gives odd, and even squared gives even, not odd, so k can't be odd.

I get this result (plugging in sqrt(k*pi) for T and sqrt(pi) for x):

1 + k + 2*sqrt(k) = m, m is > 0 integer. I'm not sure what you mean by absurd result. How does this yield a solution?

Ok, so ## k = 2 t^2##. Then the period has an additional constraint : ##T = \sqrt{k\pi} = \sqrt{2\pi} t ##.
Now try ##T## with ##x = \sqrt{\pi}##, with the same kind of reasoning you should be able to conclude.

Likes Korisnik
geoffrey159 said:
Ok, so ## k = 2 t^2##. Then the period has an additional constraint : ##T = \sqrt{k\pi} = \sqrt{2\pi} t ##.
Now try ##T## with ##x = \sqrt{\pi}##, with the same kind of reasoning you should be able to conclude.
Right, I get sqrt(2)*2t + 2t^2 + 1 = m, m is integer. Can't be. Thanks. :)

Related to Prove f(x) = sin(x^2) isn't periodic

1. What is the definition of a periodic function?

A periodic function is a function that repeats its values at regular intervals over its entire domain. In other words, the function's output values repeat themselves after a certain fixed interval of input values.

2. How can we prove that a function is not periodic?

To prove that a function is not periodic, we can use the definition of a periodic function. We can show that the function's output values do not repeat themselves at regular intervals, or that there is no fixed interval of input values where the output values repeat. This would indicate that the function is not periodic.

3. Can a function be both periodic and non-periodic?

No, a function cannot be both periodic and non-periodic. By definition, a function can only be classified as either periodic or non-periodic. If a function has a repeating pattern, it is considered periodic. If it does not have a repeating pattern, it is considered non-periodic.

4. What is the period of a function?

The period of a function is the smallest interval of input values where the function's output values repeat themselves. In other words, it is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in the graph of a periodic function.

5. How can we prove that f(x) = sin(x^2) is not periodic?

We can prove that f(x) = sin(x^2) is not periodic by showing that there is no fixed interval of input values where the function's output values repeat. This can be done by graphing the function or by using algebraic methods such as finding the derivative and showing that it is not a constant function.