1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove function continuous at only one point

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the function defined as f(x)= x when x is rational and -x when x is irrational is only continuous at 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have been looking at this website which proves this:
    http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/FunctionContinuousAtOnlyOnePoint.html [Broken]

I don't understand how the writer proves that the function is not continuous when a[tex]\neq[/tex]0.
    Why do they take xk= to something? How does this help them show that the limits equal a and -a.
    How does showing that prove that f is not continuous at a?

I know those are a lot of question, but maybe an answer to even just the first ones would help me understand this proof.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you agree that
    "f is continuous at a, if for all sequences xk that converge to a, f(xk) converges to f(a)" ?

So then to show that f is not continuous at a, all you need is to find one sequence that does converge to a but for which the limit of the f(xk) is not f(a). (The negation of "for all sequences S, P(S)" is "there exists a sequence S such that not P(S)").

So what they do is take two different sequences which both have limit a, and show that when you apply f first and take the limit, you get two different results. Since f(a) cannot be equal to a and -a at the same time, at least one of this sequence forms a counter-example to the statement of continuity they start out with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook