Prove functions f and g are continuous in the reals

In summary: Yes, exactly! You've got it.So we've proved that if ##f(x) = 0## for all ##x##, then it's continuous. That's one down, one to go!The proof that if ##f(x) \neq 0## for some ##x##, then ##f## is not continuous is very similar to the proof that ##g## is continuous.I think you're really close now!Remember, all of these proofs require the properties of
lep11

Homework Statement

Prove functions f and g are continuous in ℝ. It's known that:
i) lim g(x)=1, when x approaches 0
ii)g(x-y)=g(x)g(y)+f(x)f(y)
iii)f2(x)+g2(x)=1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
g(0) has to be equal to 1 because it's known that lim g(x)=1, when x approaches 0. Otherwise g won't be continuous at x=0.

g(0)=1 implies that f(0)=0 (iii)
And if g(0)=1 and f(0)=0 then g(-y)=g(y) (ii) so g is even function.

So it looks like g(x)=sin (x) and f(x)=cos(x). However, g and f may not be unique.
f+g is continuous if f and g are continuous but not vice versa
The definition of continuity is ∀ε>0∃δ>0: |x-x0|<δ ⇒|f(x)-f(x0|<ε ,x0∈ℝ

How to proceed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lep11 said:

Homework Statement

Prove functions f and g are continuous in ℝ. It's known that:
i) lim g(x)=1, when x approaches 0
ii)g(x-y)=g(x)g(y)+f(x)f(y)
iii)f2(x)+g2(x)=1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
g(0) has to be equal to 1 because it's known that lim g(x)=1, when x approaches 0. Otherwise g won't be continuous at x=0.

You are trying to prove that f and g are continuous, so you can't assume that g is continuous.

Likes BvU
PeroK said:
You are trying to prove that f and g are continuous, so you can't assume that g is continuous.
If g(0)≠1 then g is not continuous at x=0 so g is not continuous ∀x∈ℝ and that's it. g(0)=1 is reasonable assumption.

lep11 said:
If g(0)≠1 then g is not continuous at x=0 so g is not continuous ∀x∈ℝ so g(0)=1 is reasonable assumption.

You might as well go the whole way: we know (because we've been asked to prove it) that f and g are continuous, therefore they must be continuous. QED

PeroK said:
You might as well go the whole way: we know (because we've been asked to prove it) that f and g are continuous, therefore they must be continuous. QED
Please help me how to get started if we know nothing about g(0).

lep11 said:
Please help me how to get started if we know nothing about g(0).

I would choose a point ##x_0## and write down the definition of continuity of ##g## at ##x_0##. That seems like a good place to start.

PS I would say "to show that ##g## is continuous at ##x_0##, we need to show that ..." (not assume ##g## is continuous at ##x_0##).

PPS You could additionally try to find ##lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x)##

|g(x)-g(x0)|<epsilon when |x-x0|<delta hmm

|g(x)-g(x0)|=...?

lep11 said:
|g(x)-g(x0)|<epsilon when |x-x0|<delta

That isn't a definition of anything. As an aside, if you're doing analysis you have to been more precise.

In this case, you don't need to use epsilon-delta. You just need the properties of limits. Let me help you:

##g## is continuous at ##x_o## if ##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} g(x) = g(x_0)##

Now, I haven't given too much away, because you have to write that definition in a slightly different form. Hint: look at equation (ii) that you were given.

So I won't need epsilon-delta definition at all?

lep11 said:
So I won't need epsilon-delta definition at all?

No. Use some simple properties of limits.

##g## is continuous at ##x_o## if ##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} g(x) = g(x_0)##⇔ ##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} (g(x)g(0)+f(x)f(0)) = g(x_0)##

lep11 said:
##g## is continuous at ##x_o## if ##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} g(x) = g(x_0)##⇔ ##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} (g(x)g(0)+f(x)f(0)) = g(x_0)##

Let me give you one more helping hand. Then I'll be offline anyway:

##g## is continuous at ##x_0## if ##lim_{y \rightarrow 0} g(x_0 + y) = g(x_0)##

Having ##y \rightarrow 0## is just another way to have ##x \rightarrow x_0##

It might be worth looking at these two variations of the limit we have now:

##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} g(x) = lim_{y \rightarrow 0} g(x_0 + y)##

And really understand why they are equivalent.

What about f?

Last edited:
PeroK said:
PPS You could additionally try to find ##lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x)##
It's 0. But how to prove it?

lep11 said:
It's 0. But how to prove it?

Can you see how to use equation (iii)?

lep11 said:
What about f?

Let's worry about proving ##g## is continuous first, then we can have a think about ##f##.

PeroK said:
Can you see how to use equation (iii)?
iii)f2(x)+g2(x)=1

##lim_{x \rightarrow 0} g(x) =1## ⇒ ##lim_{x \rightarrow 0} g^2(x) =1##

when x--->0 g2(x) approaches 1 so f2(x) has to approach 0 for the equation (iii) to hold. Right?

PeroK said:
Let's worry about proving ##g## is continuous first, then we can have a think about ##f##.
##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} g(x) = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} g(x_0 - h)= lim_{h \rightarrow 0} [g(x_0)g(h)+f(x_0)f(h)]=...=g(x_0)*1+lim_{h \rightarrow 0} [f(x_0)f(h)]=g(x_0)*1+0##

∴ ##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} g(x) =g(x_0)## ∀x0∈ℝ so g is always continuous

Last edited:
lep11 said:
iii)f2(x)+g2(x)=1

##lim_{x \rightarrow 0} g(x) =1## ⇒ ##lim_{x \rightarrow 0} g^2(x) =1##

when x--->0 g2(x) approaches 1 so f2(x) has to approach 0 for the equation (iii) to hold. Right?##lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} g(x) = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} g(x_0 - h)= lim_{h \rightarrow 0} [g(x_0)g(h)+f(x_0)f(h)]=...=g(x_0)*1+lim_{h \rightarrow 0} [f(x_0)f(h)]=g(x_0)*1##

Yes on both counts!

Now, you might want to wheel out the epsilons and deltas to show that:

##\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x)^2 = 0 \ \Rightarrow \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} f(x) = 0##

Or, you might want to just state that as "obvious" and move quickly on.

Now, to show the continuity of ##f## follows from the continuity of ##g##.

Hint: you said that you thought ##g(x) = cos(x)## and ##f(x) = sin(x)## but in fact ##g(x) = 1## and ##f(x) = 0## for all ##x## is also a solution.

If ##f(x) = 0## for all ##x##, then it's continuous. Otherwise, ...

Likes lep11
if f(x)=0, then f is constant function and therefore always continuous

if f(x)≠0 always, hmm...

lep11 said:
if f(x)=0, then f is constant function and therefore always continuous

if f(x)≠0, hmm...

Let me explain how I thought about it.

First, I thought, what about equation (iii). If ##g## is continuous, then ##f^2## must be continuous. But, does ##f^2## being continuous imply ##f## is continuous? No, because ##f## could jump from positive to negative. So, perhaps I have to use equation (ii). If I picked a fixed value for ##y## then I could express ##f(x)## in terms of some combination of ##g## divided by ##f(y)## and that would do it. But, then, to do that I need ##f(y) \ne 0##. That's when I noticed that there was the constant value solution. So, ...

If ##f## is not the zero function then ##\exists y## such that ##f(y) \ne 0## ...

ok, so I need to show again that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} f(x)=f(x_0)##?now if f(y)≠0, ##\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} f(x)= \lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} [g(x-y)-g(x)g(y)]/f(y)]= ...##im stuck here

lep11 said:
ok, so I need to show again that ##\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} f(x)=f(x_0)##?now if f(y)≠0, ##\lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} f(x)= \lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} [g(x-y)-g(x)g(y)]/f(y)]##

You could do it that way. But, you can use the properties of continuous functions:

Let's use ##y_0## so that we know what is fixed and what is a variable:

##g(x-y_0)## is a continuous function, so is ##g(x)g(y_0)## hence the sum of these is continuous etc.

Likes lep11
now if f(y0)≠0 and g is continuous, f(x)= [g(x-y0)-g(x)g(y0)]/f(y0)] is continuous

f(y0) is a real number, costant function (let h(x)=f(y0)) and y0 is fixed.

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!

lep11 said:
now if f(y0)≠0 and g is continuous, f(x)= [g(x-y0)-g(x)g(y0)]/f(y0)] is continuous

f(y0) is a real number, costant function h(x)=f(y0)

Yes, and that's it done! With a little help here and there!

Seriously though, there is a lot of good stuff in this problem. It's worth not just reviewing it, but also looking at the overall strategic approach we took. As problems get harder, it becomes more difficult to hit on a solution. You need to work out a plan for each step.

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

Continuous functions are those that have no breaks or holes in their graph. This means that as the input values (x) change, the output values (y) change in a smooth and connected way.

2. How can we prove that a function is continuous in the real numbers?

To prove that a function is continuous in the real numbers, we use the definition of continuity. This states that a function f is continuous at a point c if the limit of f(x) as x approaches c is equal to f(c). We can also prove continuity using the intermediate value theorem or epsilon-delta definition of continuity.

3. Can a function be continuous at some points and not continuous at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at some points and not continuous at others. This is known as a piecewise continuous function. In this case, the function is defined by different equations in different intervals, and may have breaks or jumps at the points where the equations change.

4. What is the difference between pointwise continuity and uniform continuity?

Pointwise continuity refers to a function being continuous at each individual point in its domain. Uniform continuity, on the other hand, means that a function is continuous over an entire interval. In other words, uniform continuity requires that the function is continuous at every point in the interval simultaneously, not just at each individual point.

5. Can we prove that two functions are continuous at the same time?

No, we cannot prove that two functions are continuous at the same time. Each function must be proven to be continuous separately using the appropriate methods. However, if two functions are both continuous at a certain point, then their sum, difference, product, and composition will also be continuous at that point.