Homework SolutionProve Hyperbolic Function: Solving for x in Terms of y

In summary: Yeah, i got it! Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equation x^2=4y^2(y^2-1) given the initial statement that \sinh^{-1}x=2\cosh^{-1}y. The conversation involves manipulating the equation and using identities to simplify it. Eventually, it is proven that x^2=4y^2(y^2-1) is true. In addition, the conversation briefly discusses the proof of \sinh(\sinh^{-1}x)=x.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
If [itex]\sinh^{-1}x=2\cosh^{-1}y[/itex], prove that [itex]x^2=4y^2(y^2-1)[/itex]

The attempt at a solution
I re-wrote [itex]\sinh^{-1}x[/itex] and [itex]2\cosh^{-1}y[/itex] in terms of x and y.
[tex]\sinh^{-1}x=\ln(x+\sqrt{x^2+1})
\\2\cosh^{-1}y=2\ln(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})=\ln(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^2
\\\ln(x+\sqrt{x^2+1})=\ln(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^2
\\x+\sqrt{x^2+1}=(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^2
\\x+\sqrt{x^2+1}=2y^2+2y\sqrt{y^2-1}-1
[/tex]
From this point onwards, i know that i have to manipulate that equation to get the proof. But, i don't know how to get only [itex]x^2[/itex] on the L.H.S. I tried and squared both sides, but the expressions just expand even more.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might have better luck if you begin by taking ##sinh## of both sides and think about identities.

Hi LCKurtz

OK, i multiplied by [itex]\sinh[/itex] on both sides:

[tex]x=\sinh (2\cosh^{-1}y)
\\x=\frac{e^{2\cosh^{-1}y}-e^{-2\cosh^{-1}y}}{2}
\\2x=(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^2-(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^{-2}
\\2x=\frac{(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^4-1}{(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^2}
[/tex]
And then i don't know where it's going...

sharks said:
Hi LCKurtz

OK, i multiplied by [itex]\sinh[/itex] on both sides:

[tex]x=\sinh (2\cosh^{-1}y)
\\x=\frac{e^{2\cosh^{-1}y}-e^{-2\cosh^{-1}y}}{2}
\\2x=(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^2-(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^{-2}
\\2x=\frac{(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^4-1}{(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^2}
[/tex]
And then i don't know where it's going...

You don't "multiply" both sides by ##sinh##. You take the ##sinh## of both sides. You are too anxious to plug in all those exponentials and square roots. At that very first step you have the ##sinh## of a double "angle" on the right. My hint mentioned identities...

[itex]\sinh (\sinh^{-1}x)=\sinh (2\cosh^{-1}y)
\\x=2\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)\cosh(\cosh^{-1}y)
\\x=2\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)(y)
\\x=(e^{\cosh^{-1}y}-e^{-\cosh^{-1}y})(y)
\\\frac{x}{y}=(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})-(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^{-1}
[/itex]
Then, i expand the R.H.S over a common denominator and end up with a complicated form.

Last edited:
sharks said:
[itex]\sinh (\sinh^{-1}x)=\sinh (2\cosh^{-1}y)
\\x=2\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)\cosh(\cosh^{-1}y)
\\x=2\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)(y)
\\x=(e^{\cosh^{-1}y}-e^{-\cosh^{-1}y})(y)
\\\frac{x}{y}=(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})-(y+\sqrt{y^2-1})^{-1}
[/itex]
Then, i expand the R.H.S over a common denominator and end up with a complicated form.

Following on from LCKurtz, can you find an identity for the double angle formula and then for cosh^-1(sinh(x)) and sinh^-1(cosh(x))?

Think about how to write sinh(2x) in terms of sinh(x) and cosh(x) for the first part.

chiro said:
Think about how to write sinh(2x) in terms of sinh(x) and cosh(x) for the first part.

That's exactly what I've done in line 2.

[itex]\sinh 2A=2\sinh A\cosh A[/itex]
Let [itex]A=\cosh^{-1}y
\\\sinh (2\cosh^{-1}y)=2\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)\cosh(\cosh^{-1}y)[/itex]
Then,
[tex]\sinh(\sinh^{-1}x)=x[/tex]I've tried to prove the above, but i can't figure it out, however according to my calculator (using random values), it's correct.

Re-writing it here:
[tex]x=2\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)\cosh(\cosh^{-1}y)[/tex]
Or, did you mean, to expand the L.H.S:
[tex]\sinh (\sinh^{-1}x)=2\sinh (\frac{\sinh^{-1}x}{2})\cosh(\frac{\sinh^{-1}x)}{2})[/tex]OK, i got it!

From,
[tex]x=2\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)\cosh(\cosh^{-1}y)=2\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)(y)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x}{2y}=\sinh(\cosh^{-1}y)[/tex]
Squaring both sides:
[tex]\frac{x^2}{4y^2}=\sinh^2(\cosh^{-1}y)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x^2}{4y^2}=\cosh^2(\cosh^{-1}y)-1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{x^2}{4y^2}=y^2-1[/tex]
Therefore,
[tex]x^2=4y^2(y^2-1)[/tex]But I'm wondering how to prove this expression?
[tex]\sinh(\sinh^{-1}x)=x[/tex]

Last edited:
sharks said:
But I'm wondering how to prove this?
[tex]\sinh(\sinh^{-1}x)=x[/tex]

That's simply the inverse function acting on the output of a function to return the original value.

[itex]f^{-1}(f(x)) = x[/itex]

It makes perfect sense, but what if i actually worked it out? Will it be too complicated?

Here is a trial...
[tex]\sinh(\sinh^{-1}x)
\\=\sinh(\ln (x +\sqrt{x^2+1}))
\\=\frac { e^{\ln (x +\sqrt {x^2+1})}-e^{-\ln (x +\sqrt {x^2+1})} } {2}
\\=\frac { (x +\sqrt {x^2+1})-(x +\sqrt {x^2+1})^{-1} } {2}
\\=\frac { \frac{(2x^2 +2x\sqrt {x^2+1})}{(x +\sqrt {x^2+1})} } {2}
\\=\frac { 2x\frac{(x +\sqrt {x^2+1})}{(x +\sqrt {x^2+1})} } {2}
\\=\frac{2x}{2}
\\=x
[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What are hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions are a set of mathematical functions that are closely related to the trigonometric functions. They are defined as the ratios of the hyperbolic sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle in a right-angled triangle with a hyperbolic angle. They are commonly denoted as sinh, cosh, and tanh, respectively.

2. How do you prove hyperbolic functions?

The hyperbolic functions can be derived from the exponential function, which is defined as ex = 1 + x + (x^2/2!) + (x^3/3!) + ... + (x^n/n!) + ... By substituting ix for x in this series, where i is the imaginary unit, we get the hyperbolic functions sinh(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2 and cosh(x) = (e^x + e^-x)/2.

3. What is the relationship between hyperbolic and trigonometric functions?

The hyperbolic functions are closely related to the trigonometric functions, as they share many of the same properties. Just as the sine and cosine functions are used to describe circular motion, the hyperbolic sine and cosine functions are used to describe hyperbolic motion. Additionally, the hyperbolic tangent function is analogous to the tangent function in trigonometry.

4. What are the practical applications of hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model exponential growth and decay, as well as phenomena such as population growth, radioactive decay, and the charging and discharging of capacitors in electric circuits.

5. Are there any real-life examples of hyperbolic functions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of hyperbolic functions. For instance, the shape of a hanging cable or chain suspended between two points can be described using the hyperbolic cosine function. The shape of a catenary arch, which is commonly used in bridges and buildings, is also described using the hyperbolic cosine function. Additionally, hyperbolic functions are used in the design of roller coasters and other amusement rides to create thrilling and safe experiences for riders.