1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove Inequality using Mean Value Theorem

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Essentially, the question asks to use the mean value theorem(mvt) to prove the inequality: abs(sina - sinb) [tex]\leq[/tex] abs(a - b) for all a and b

3. The attempt at a solution

I do not have a graphing calculator nor can I use one for this problem, so I need to prove that the inequality basically by proof. What I did was to look at the mvt hypotheses: if the function is continous and differetiable on closed and open on interval a,b, respectively. However, the problem I am having is that I am getting thrown off by the absolute values and the fact that I've never used mvt on inequalities. I know the absolute value of the sin will look like a sequence of upside-down cups with vertical tangents between them. Hints most appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    Assume a>b, then sina-sinb=(a-b)cosc, for some b<c<a, which gives the inequality with no problems.

4. Oct 28, 2008 #3
    Wait, are you considering that abs(...) = absolute value of the sum?

5. Oct 28, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The mean value theorem tells you (sin(a)-sin(b))/(a-b)=sin'(c)=cos(c) for some c between a and b, as boombaby said. Take the absolute value of both sides and use that |cos(c)|<=1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?