Prove Intergal Question Without Calculating Integral

• Thread starter daniel_i_l
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses proving the limit of a function, the inequality of two integrals, and the supremum of a function. Using L'Hopital's rule and the fundamental theorem, it is proven that the limit of the function at 0 is 1. The proof for the inequality involves defining a new function and using the fact that its derivative is always positive, leading to the conclusion that the function is always less than 1. Finally, it is proven that 1 is the supremum of the function by showing that any number less than 1 cannot be an upper bound. The proof for (b) involves proving that e^(-t^2) is always less than or equal to 1 for all real
daniel_i_l
Gold Member

Homework Statement

let [tex] F(x) = {\frac{1}{x}}{\int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^2} dt} [/tex]
Prove, without calculating the integral (but assuming that F exists in (0,infinity)) that:
a) the limit of F at 0 is 1.
b) for all x>0 [tex] \int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^2} dt <= x[/tex]
x) supF((0,infinity)) = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I solved a using L'hopitals rule and the fundamental theorm.

b) First I defined a new function G where G(x) = F(x) for all x>0 and G(x) = 1 for x=0.
Now, I know that G is continues for all x>=0 and has a derivative for all x>0. So I have to prove that G'(x) < 0 for all x>0. I got that in order to prove that I have to prove that
[tex] \int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^2} dt > x e^{-x^2}[/tex] for all x>0. In order to do this I can define a new function [tex] H(x) \int^{x}_{0} e^{-t^2} dt - x e^{-x^2}[/tex]. Now, H(0)=0 and for all x>0 H'(x) >0 and so H(x)>0 for all x>0 which means that G'(x) < 0 for all x>0 and so G(x) < 1 for all x>0 and since in this domain G(x)=F(x) we get that F(x)<1 for all x>0.
But this is a stronger result than what was asked for (=<), is my proof right?

c)We know from b that 1 is an upper bound of F in (0,infinity). Now, let's assume that there exists a number 0<c<1 so that c is also an upper bound. Since the limit of F at 0 is 1 we can find a D (delta) so that for all 0<x<D |F(x)-1| < (1-c)/2. This means that
F(x)-1 > -(1-c)/2 => F(x) > c which contradicts the fact that c is an upper bound!

Are those right? Especially (b) and (c).
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? Please tell me if anything is unclear.
Thanks.

Sorry, the things you're supposed to prove all seem completely obvious to me, but I rarely know what constitutes a mathematically rigorous proof.

For (b), I would say e^(-t^2) <= 1 for all real t, so the its integral over any range will be <= the integral of 1 over that range. But I suppose I need to *prove* e^(-t^2) <= 1 for all real t first ...

Related to Prove Intergal Question Without Calculating Integral

1. What is an intergal question?

An intergal question is a mathematical question that involves finding the area under a curve or between two curves using integration. It is typically used in calculus and is an important concept in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. Why is it important to prove an intergal question without calculating the integral?

Proving an intergal question without calculating the integral allows for a deeper understanding of the concept and can lead to more efficient and accurate solutions. It also allows for the use of alternative methods and techniques, which can be helpful in certain situations.

3. What are some common techniques for proving intergal questions without calculating the integral?

Some common techniques include using geometric reasoning, substitution, and symmetry. These methods can help simplify the problem and make it easier to prove without needing to calculate the integral.

4. Can intergal questions be proven without using calculus?

Yes, it is possible to prove intergal questions without using calculus. Some problems can be solved using basic algebraic manipulation and geometric concepts. However, calculus is often the most efficient and accurate way to solve intergal questions.

5. What are some real-world applications of intergal questions?

Intergal questions have many real-world applications, including calculating the area under a velocity-time graph to determine the displacement of an object, finding the volume of irregularly shaped objects, and determining the amount of work done in a physical system. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields.