Prove statement- Little-O notation

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the statement $f(n)+o(f(n))=\Theta(f(n))$ and whether it can be proved or disproved. The participants consider setting $g(n)=o(f(n))$ and using the definition of $o$, and ultimately conclude that the statement is correct by providing a counterexample. One participant initially questions the proof, but later realizes that they were mistaken.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)

I want to prove or disprove the statement $f(n)+o(f(n))=\Theta(f(n))$.
Do I have to set $g(n)=o(f(n))$ and use the definition, that is that $\forall c>0, \exists n_0(c) \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0: 0 \leq g(n)<cf(n)$ ? (Thinking)

Is the following right?

We set $g(n)=o(f(n))$.That means that $\forall c>0, \exists n_0 \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $\forall n \geq n_0: 0 \leq g(n)< cf(n)$.
So: $f(n) \leq f(n)+g(n) < cf(n)+f(n)=(c+1)f(n), \forall n \geq n_0$.
Right? So do we say that $f(n) \leq f(n)+g(n) < cf(n)+f(n)=(c+1)f(n) \Rightarrow f(n) \leq f(n)+g(n) \leq (c+1)f(n), \forall n \geq n_0$

So picking $c_1=1, c_2=c+1$ we see that $f(n)+g(n)=\Theta(f(n)) \Leftrightarrow f(n)+o(g(n))=\Theta(f(n))$.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the statement is wrong by counter example.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I think the statement is wrong by counter example.

So is my proof wrong? Which counterexample did you find?

evinda said:
So is my proof wrong? Which counterexample did you find?

I'm really sorry. I think I am wrong. Your proof is correct.

Related to Prove statement- Little-O notation

1. What is Little-O notation?

Little-O notation, also known as "little-oh" notation, is a mathematical notation used to describe the limiting behavior of a function as its input approaches a specific value. It is commonly used in the analysis of algorithms to describe their time complexity.

2. How is Little-O notation different from Big-O notation?

While both Big-O and Little-O notations are used to describe the limiting behavior of a function, they differ in their strictness. In Big-O notation, the function's growth rate must be less than or equal to the specified function, while in Little-O notation, the growth rate must be strictly less than the specified function.

3. How is Little-O notation used to prove statements?

In order to prove a statement using Little-O notation, we need to show that the function in question is strictly less than the specified function. This can be achieved by manipulating the function algebraically or by using limits to show that the function approaches zero faster than the specified function.

4. Can Little-O notation be used to compare two functions?

Yes, Little-O notation can be used to compare two functions and determine which one has a faster growth rate. If one function is strictly less than another in Little-O notation, then the first function has a faster growth rate than the second function.

5. What are the common misconceptions about Little-O notation?

One common misconception is that Little-O notation only applies to asymptotic behavior, when in fact it can be used for any value of the input. Another misconception is that Little-O notation only applies to time complexity analysis, when it can also be used to analyze space complexity and other types of functions. Additionally, some people confuse Little-O notation with Big-Omega notation, which has a similar concept but uses a different inequality.