Prove that if a and b are both odd integer

• Thread starter annoymage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the conversation discusses proving that if a and b are both odd integers, then 16|(a^2+b^2-2). The attempt at a solution involves using the fact that a and b can be expressed as 2m+1 and 2n+1, respectively. However, a counterexample is provided and it is concluded that there is something wrong with the question.
annoymage

Homework Statement

prove that if a and b are both odd integer, then [tex]16|(a^2+b^2-2)[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

let [tex]a=2m+1 \ and \ b=2n+1[/tex], then [tex]a^2+b^2-2=4(m(m+1)+n(n+1))[/tex] so its divisible by 4, and also divisible 8 since [tex]m(m+1) \ and \ n(n+1)[/tex] are even.
so i only prove [tex]8|(a^2+b^2-2)[/tex], then how to continue? clue please T_T

Physics news on Phys.org

hey I've got counter example, a=1 and b=3, so the question is wrong?

16\8=0 or am i wrong?

A thought..Let a^2 +b^2-2<> 16k. a^2+b^2<>16k+2 => a^2+b^2<>2m => odd +odd<> even which is wrong. (<> different from)

annoymage said:
hey I've got counter example, a=1 and b=3, so the question is wrong?

3^2+7^2-2=56. That isn't divisible by 16 either. Yes, there is something wrong with the question.

What does it mean for a number to be an "odd integer"?

An odd integer is a whole number that is not divisible by 2. In other words, it cannot be evenly divided into two equal parts.

Can you give an example of an odd integer?

Yes, some examples of odd integers are 3, 7, 11, and -17.

What is the significance of proving that two numbers are odd integers?

Proving that two numbers are odd integers can help us understand their properties and relationships better. It can also be useful in solving mathematical problems and equations.

How can you prove that if two numbers, a and b, are both odd integers, their sum is also an odd integer?

To prove this, we can use the definition of an odd integer and the fact that the sum of two odd numbers is always an even number. Thus, adding one more odd number to this even number will result in an odd integer.

What other properties do odd integers have?

Odd integers have the property that when multiplied together, they always result in another odd integer. They can also be represented as 2n+1, where n is any integer. Additionally, the difference between two odd integers is always an even integer.