Prove that if A intersect B = A intersect C then

• Thread starter Andrax
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to prove the equivalence of two statements: A \cap B = A \cap C and A \cap \negB = A \cap \negC. The attempt at a solution involved trying different methods, including using set notation and logical reasoning. However, the person is stuck and needs help to complete the proof.
Andrax

Homework Statement

Prove that if A [itex]\cap[/itex] B = A [itex]\cap[/itex] C [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] A [itex]\cap[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex]B = A [itex]\cap[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex]C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done a lot of work on this exercise nothing seems to work..

Physics news on Phys.org
Andrax said:
I have done a lot of work on this exercise nothing seems to work..

Can you show us the work you did?

All i pretty much did so far was turning the A [itex]\cap[/itex] LB = A [itex]\cap[/itex] C [itex]\Leftrightarrow[/itex] A - B = A - C
i've tried pretty much everything nothing seems to work
example : let x E a ---> x E A [itex]\cap[/itex] B ---> x E A [itex]\cap[/itex] C
yeah I'm pretty much stuck here
also i tried this one A [itex]\cap[/itex] B = A [itex]\cap[/itex] C [itex]\longrightarrow[/itex] x E A and x E B and x E C [itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex] x E A and x E l B and x E l C And I am stuck here.. i need to prove that x E A and x E/ B = x E A and x E/ C...

Related to Prove that if A intersect B = A intersect C then

What is the statement "Prove that if A intersect B = A intersect C then" asking?

This statement is asking for a proof of the equality between the intersection of sets A and B and the intersection of sets A and C.

What does "A intersect B" mean?

A intersect B refers to the set of elements that are common to both sets A and B. In other words, it is the set of all elements that are present in both sets.

What does "A intersect C" mean?

A intersect C refers to the set of elements that are common to both sets A and C. In other words, it is the set of all elements that are present in both sets.

What does it mean for two sets to be equal?

Two sets are considered equal if and only if they have the same elements. In other words, if every element in one set is also present in the other set, and vice versa, then the two sets are equal.

How can you prove that if A intersect B = A intersect C, then A = C?

In order to prove this statement, one can use the subset property of sets. This property states that if every element in set A is also present in set B, then A is a subset of B. Using this property, if A intersect B = A intersect C, then every element in A intersect B (which is also in A) is also present in A intersect C. Therefore, A is a subset of A intersect C. Similarly, since every element in A intersect C (which is also in C) is also present in A intersect B, C is a subset of A intersect B. Combining these two results, we can conclude that A = C, proving the statement.