Prove that the integr of x² = (1/3)(b³-a³)

• Thread starter maupassant
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove the equation \int^{b}_{a} x² dx = (1/3)(b³-a³), which involves finding the lower and upper sums and using the inequality 3xi-1² \leqxi²+xi-1xi\leq3xi² to reach the desired result. However, there is some confusion and suspicion about the reasoning behind the proof.
maupassant

Homework Statement

I should have to prove that [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{b}_____________{a}[/tex] x² dx = (1/3)(b³-a³)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that f is continuous on [a,b] and that there exists a unique number I so that
L[tex]_{f}[/tex](P)[tex]\leq[/tex] I [tex]\leq[/tex] U[tex]_{f}[/tex](P) .

So the first thing to do is to find the lower and upper sum which are:
L[tex]_{f}[/tex](P) = f(x0)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x1[/tex]+f(x1)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x2
+ ... + f(xn-1)[tex]\Delta[/tex]xn

U[tex]_{f}[/tex](P) = f(x1)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x1+f(x2)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x2
+ ... + f(xn)[tex]\Delta[/tex]xn

Now that we 've found the Upper and Lower sums, we must try to find the number I.

My textbook says the following:
" For each index i, 1<=i<=n we have:
3xi-1² [tex]\leq[/tex]xi-1²+xi-1xi+xi²[tex]\leq[/tex]3xi² "

Now where does the author get the middle term from? Why can't one just the take the mean like this (, or does the middle term means something else?) : f((b+a)/2) ?

But apparently this doesn't lead to the end result of the middle term , i.e. (1/3)(b³-a³).

How does one reach this end result from the Upper and Lower sums?

Thank for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm should 've used subscripts instead of superscripts... Apologies!

That middle term looks very much like one of the factors in a difference of two cubes:

[tex]a^3 - b^3 = (a - b) \cdot (a^2 + ab + b^2) [/tex]

Thank you for the quick reply but the thing that bothers me is how one reaches
inequality 3xi-1<=xi²+xi-1xi<=3xi

And why did the author multiply the first and the third factor by 3? I cannot give any reason to do so unless perhaps you work from the result (=(1/3)(b³-a³)) backwards? So, how would the author know how to proceed further from: Uf(P) and Lf(P) ?

Thank you.

I suspect a certain measure of hokum in this proof, in the sense that the party arguing knew what they wanted to prove before they proved it.

I haven't sorted all of this out yet, but the inequality

[tex]3x_{i-1}^2 \leq x_{i-1}^2 + x_{i-1}x_{i} +x_{i}^2 \leq 3x_{i}^2 [/tex]

comes from the idea that there are three terms in the middle, two of which are plainly larger than [tex]x_{i-1}^2[/tex] and two of which are smaller than [tex]x_{i}^2[/tex]. If you now divide through by 3 and multiply all terms by [tex](x_{i} - x_{i-i})[/tex], which is the [tex]\Delta x[/tex], you have the factors for the terms of the Riemann sum for the lower and upper sum on each end and the factors for [tex]\frac{1}{3}(x_{i}^3 - x_{i-1}^3)[/tex] in the middle. So you have the term you're after bracketed in the inequality, thus the sum over i on this inequality will bracket [tex]\frac{1}{3}(b^3 - a^3)[/tex], since all the middle terms in that sum will cancel out.

Not having your book in front of me, I don't know the full context of this. It's a clever argument, but also one where it helps to know what you're intending to come up with. (You see that at times in proofs in textbooks.)

Last edited:

Related to Prove that the integr of x² = (1/3)(b³-a³)

1. What is the formula for the integration of x²?

The formula for the integration of x² is ∫x² dx = (1/3)x³ + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you prove that the integral of x² is equal to (1/3)(b³-a³)?

To prove that the integral of x² is equal to (1/3)(b³-a³), we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function over an interval is equal to the difference of the function evaluated at the endpoints of the interval. In this case, we can evaluate the function x² at the endpoints a and b, and take the difference to get (1/3)(b³-a³).

3. Can you explain the reasoning behind the constant of integration in the formula?

The constant of integration is necessary because when we take the derivative of a function, the constant term disappears. Therefore, when we integrate a function, we need to add a constant term to account for this. The value of the constant can vary and is usually denoted as C.

4. Is the integration of x² the same as finding the area under the curve?

Yes, the integration of x² is equivalent to finding the area under the curve of the function. This is because integration is essentially a summing process, where we are adding up the value of the function over an interval. In this case, the function x² represents the area under the curve.

5. Can the formula for the integration of x² be applied to other functions as well?

Yes, the formula for the integration of x² can be applied to other polynomials of the form xⁿ, where n is any real number except for -1. For other types of functions, such as trigonometric or exponential functions, different integration techniques may need to be used.