1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the integr of x² = (1/3)(b³-a³)

1. Jul 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I should have to prove that [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{b}_____________{a}[/tex] x² dx = (1/3)(b³-a³)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that f is continuous on [a,b] and that there exists a unique number I so that
    L[tex]_{f}[/tex](P)[tex]\leq[/tex] I [tex]\leq[/tex] U[tex]_{f}[/tex](P) .

So the first thing to do is to find the lower and upper sum which are:
    L[tex]_{f}[/tex](P) = f(x0)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x1[/tex]+f(x1)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x2
    + ... + f(xn-1)[tex]\Delta[/tex]xn

U[tex]_{f}[/tex](P) = f(x1)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x1+f(x2)[tex]\Delta[/tex]x2
    + ... + f(xn)[tex]\Delta[/tex]xn

Now that we 've found the Upper and Lower sums, we must try to find the number I.

My textbook says the following:
    " For each index i, 1<=i<=n we have:
    3xi-1² [tex]\leq[/tex]xi-1²+xi-1xi+xi²[tex]\leq[/tex]3xi² "

Now where does the author get the middle term from? Why can't one just the take the mean like this (, or does the middle term means something else?) : f((b+a)/2) ?

But apparently this doesn't lead to the end result of the middle term , i.e. (1/3)(b³-a³).

How does one reach this end result from the Upper and Lower sums?

Thank for your help!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2008 #2
    Hmm should 've used subscripts instead of superscripts... Apologies!

4. Jul 18, 2008 #3

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

That middle term looks very much like one of the factors in a difference of two cubes:

[tex]a^3 - b^3 = (a - b) \cdot (a^2 + ab + b^2) [/tex]

5. Jul 18, 2008 #4
    Thank you for the quick reply but the thing that bothers me is how one reaches
    inequality 3xi-1<=xi²+xi-1xi<=3xi

And why did the author multiply the first and the third factor by 3? I cannot give any reason to do so unless perhaps you work from the result (=(1/3)(b³-a³)) backwards? So, how would the author know how to proceed further from: Uf(P) and Lf(P) ?

Thank you.

6. Jul 18, 2008 #5

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I suspect a certain measure of hokum in this proof, in the sense that the party arguing knew what they wanted to prove before they proved it.

I haven't sorted all of this out yet, but the inequality

[tex]3x_{i-1}^2 \leq x_{i-1}^2 + x_{i-1}x_{i} +x_{i}^2 \leq 3x_{i}^2 [/tex]

comes from the idea that there are three terms in the middle, two of which are plainly larger than [tex]x_{i-1}^2[/tex] and two of which are smaller than [tex]x_{i}^2[/tex]. If you now divide through by 3 and multiply all terms by [tex](x_{i} - x_{i-i})[/tex], which is the [tex]\Delta x[/tex], you have the factors for the terms of the Riemann sum for the lower and upper sum on each end and the factors for [tex]\frac{1}{3}(x_{i}^3 - x_{i-1}^3)[/tex] in the middle. So you have the term you're after bracketed in the inequality, thus the sum over i on this inequality will bracket [tex]\frac{1}{3}(b^3 - a^3)[/tex], since all the middle terms in that sum will cancel out.

Not having your book in front of me, I don't know the full context of this. It's a clever argument, but also one where it helps to know what you're intending to come up with. (You see that at times in proofs in textbooks.)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?