Prove that the the DERIVATIVE of p(x) is ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stanc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Stanc
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Prove that the the DERIVATIVE of p(x) is...?

Homework Statement



If p(x) = (2x+8) / (√x) Prove that p'(x) is (x√x - 4√x)/x


The Attempt at a Solution



I keep getting stumped, I cannot simplify it down
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Stanc said:

Homework Statement



If p(x) = (2x+8) / (√x) Prove that p'(x) is (x√x - 4√x)/x


The Attempt at a Solution



I keep getting stumped, I cannot simplify it down

Well, what's your answer? Show your work. I think the given answer is wrong.
 
Dick said:
Well, what's your answer? Show your work. I think the given answer is wrong.

Heres what I got: (2x+8)(-1/2) [x^(-3/2)] + {x^(-1/2)} (2) but from here I don't know where to go...
 
You can try simplifying it algebraically. Remember, you are trying to match a given answer.
 
SteamKing said:
You can try simplifying it algebraically. Remember, you are trying to match a given answer.

What do you mean by simplifying it algebraically?? Can you give me a start?
 
Stanc said:
What do you mean by simplifying it algebraically?? Can you give me a start?

You want to write it as (something)/x. Multiply what you've got by x/x.