Prove the following identity by mathematical induction

In summary, the conversation discusses proving an identity using mathematical induction. The steps involve setting up a proof by assuming the identity is true for a certain value, and then finding a way to change the expression for the next value using the induction assumption and the (k+1)th summand. It is also advised to avoid using "i" when working with non-complex numbers.
Ryuuken

Homework Statement

Prove the following identity by mathematical induction:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)} = \frac{n}{(2n + 1)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let P(n) = [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{(2(1) - 1)(2(1) + 1)} = \frac{1}{(2(1) + 1)}[/tex]

P(1) = [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{(1)(3)} = \frac{1}{3}[/tex] is true

Assuming P(k) is true, then P(k + 1) is also true.

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{(2(k + 1) - 1)(2(k + 1) + 1)} = \frac{k + 1}{(2(k + 1) + 1)}[/tex]

Do I just change all the i's and n's to k+1 and expand it until left equation is equal to the right?

Physics news on Phys.org

You assume that this is true:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^k \frac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)} = \frac{k}{(2k + 1)}[/tex]

And then find a way to change the above into this:

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{k+1} \frac{1}{(2i - 1)(2i + 1)} = \frac{k+1}{(2(k+1) + 1)}[/tex]

Notice how I made the replacement everywhere.

Ryuuken said:
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{(2(k + 1) - 1)(2(k + 1) + 1)} = \frac{k + 1}{(2(k + 1) + 1)}[/tex]

Do I just change all the i's and n's to k+1 and expand it until left equation is equal to the right?
The expression you have there doesn't make sense. The summation is for an index of i, yet k is used. Replacing i with k would still be incorrect. Instead, find a way to write [tex]\sum^{k+1}_{k=0} \frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k-1)} \ \mbox{in terms of} \ \sum^{k}_{k=0} \frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k-1)} \ \mbox{and the (k+1)th summand}[/tex] and then use the induction assumption.

PS. Avoid using "i" when you are not working with complex numbers. It gets confusing after a while.

What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove that a statement holds for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement holds for a base case (usually n=1) and then assuming that it holds for some arbitrary value n=k, and using this assumption to prove that it holds for n=k+1.

How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by breaking down a proof into smaller, simpler steps. First, we prove that the statement holds for the smallest value of n (the base case). Then, we assume that the statement holds for some arbitrary value n=k. Finally, we use this assumption to prove that it also holds for n=k+1.

Why is mathematical induction useful?

Mathematical induction is useful because it allows us to prove that a statement holds for infinitely many values. This is particularly helpful in mathematics and other fields where dealing with infinite quantities is common.

What types of statements can be proven by mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is typically used to prove statements about natural numbers, such as equations, inequalities, and divisibility rules. However, it can also be used to prove statements about other mathematical objects, as long as they can be ordered and have a base case.

What are the steps to prove an identity by mathematical induction?

The steps to prove an identity by mathematical induction are:
1. State the identity that you want to prove.
2. Prove that the identity holds for the base case (usually n=1).
3. Assume that the identity holds for some arbitrary value n=k.
4. Use this assumption to prove that the identity also holds for n=k+1.
5. Conclude that the identity holds for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.