Proving Induction: Solving Equations 1 and 2 with Expert Tips

• Thread starter Jimmy84
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Induction
You should end up with an inequality that is true for n=1. Then you can use induction on it to prove it is true for all n.In summary, to prove the given equations using induction, one must first prove a base case (usually n=1) and then prove that if the theorem is true for some value of n, it is also true for n+1. This can be done by generalizing the equation and using known formulas for the sum of integers to simplify the equation. Once the equation is simplified, induction can be used to prove it is true for all values of n.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

Prove using induction

1.) 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + n^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n)^2

2.) 1^3 + 2^3 + ... + (n-1)^3 < (n^4)/4 < 1^3 + 2^3 + ... + n^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a clue about how to start to do the problems can anyone help me ?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you don't know what to do, start by writing down what you know.

How to prove a theorem by induction.

1) Prove a case (usually n=1 or something).
2) Prove that if your theorem is true for some value of n, it is true for n+1.

So start by proving the statements for n=1, or maybe n=3 since the second statement involves n-1.

Then prove that IF it's true for n, it's true for n+1.

do you understand the inductive process?

First show its true for a particular n, usually n=1
Then asumes it true for n, see if you can show it is then true for n+1 based on that fact

Then it is true for all n greater than 1 (or whatever value you started at)

I've done the first question before, it isn't that easy (unless you look it up what I'm going to post below).
It's related to these numbers (n^3) : (cubic numbers)
1^2 = 1
2^3 = 8 = 3 + 5
3^3 = 7 + 8 + 9
4^3 = 11 + 13 + 15 + 17
.. et c
generalize and these results and prove the generalization, then you may use it for 1^3 + ... + n^3 = (1+2+..+n)^2.

this may help you: 1 + 3 + ... + 2(n) - 1 = n^2
good luck

as i think wisvuze is implying you may need to use a few inductions (rather than just the single inductive step) to get the result - have a try & we'll step through it

Im familiar with having a single inductive step however the ones that use more step are more complicated.

I couldn't find a generalization for
1^2 = 1
2^3 = 8 = 3 + 5
3^3 = 7 + 8 + 9
4^3 = 11 + 13 + 15 + 17

There is no generalization I could find for 1, 8, 24, and 56. what can I do about it?

In problem one

1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + n^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n)^2

would then be

1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + (n+1)^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + n+1)^2

but I can't go further from that . because I can't take just n+1 as one single variable in order to make sense I need the other sum of real numbers of the equation.

ok so examining n+1 case gives (note I've just added tex tags around you formula - try clicking on equation to see what i mean):
[tex] 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + n^3 + (n+1)^3 = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... +n+ (n+1))^2 [/tex]

exapanding some of the square
[tex] (1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + n^3) + (n+1)^3
= ((1 + 2 + 3 + ... +n) +(n+1))^2 [/tex]
[tex] (1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 + ... + n^3) + (n+1)^3
= (1 + 2 + 3 + ... +n)^2 +2(n+1)(1 + 2 + 3 + ... +n) + (n+1)^2[/tex]

now if we assume the orginal hypothesis is true for n, it reduces to:
[tex] (n+1)^3 = 2(n+1)(1 + 2 + 3 + ... +n) + (n+1)^2[/tex]

removing a factor of (n+1)
[tex] (n+1)^2 = 2(1 + 2 + 3 + ... +n) + (n+1)[/tex]

if you can prove the above relation you're pretty much there - so you could try induction again (i haven't done it, but looks like a reasonable way to attempt the problem)

Last edited:
This last relation follows directly from the formula for summing the first n integers.

cool, then induction should work for that if you can't just assume it & then you just need to show the hypthesis is true for some starting n value

Sorry I have been very busy all this time it has been quite hard to find a way to solve this problem.

You told me to prove
but I am not sure about how to do that.

I tried [tex] (n+2)^2 = 2(1 + 2 + 3 + ... +n+1) + (n+2)[/tex]
then [tex] n^2 +4n +4 = 2 (1+2+3+... +n+1) + (n+2)[/tex]

But I am totally lost here I would appreciate some help.

Start by finding a closed formula for:

[tex] \sum_{k=1}^n k = (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + (n-1) + n) [/tex]

hgfalling said:

What do you mean by a closed formula?

Something that's only in terms of n, and doesn't involve a summation.

Jimmy84 said:
Im familiar with having a single inductive step however the ones that use more step are more complicated.

I couldn't find a generalization for
1^2 = 1
2^3 = 8 = 3 + 5
3^3 = 7 + 8 + 9
4^3 = 11 + 13 + 15 + 17

There is no generalization I could find for 1, 8, 24, and 56. what can I do about it?

Notice: 1^2 = 1, 2^3 = 3 + 5 .. et c nth term is the sum of n odd numbers, starting from where n-1's odd terms left off

This question was presented this way in Donald Knuth's popular book "The Art of Computer Programming".

hgfalling said:

[tex] n(n+1)/2 [/tex]

What use I can give to that in order to prove the original equation?

In post #10, you wrote:
Jimmy84 said:
You told me to prove
but I am not sure about how to do that.

Now you have an expression you can fill in on the right side of that equation, right?

hgfalling said:
In post #10, you wrote:

Now you have an expression you can fill in on the right side of that equation, right?

ok [tex] (n+1)^2 = n(n+1) + (n+1) [/tex]
that is [tex] n^2+2n+1 = n^2+2n+1 [/tex]

How can I start with the second problem?

2.) [tex] 1^3 + 2^3 + ... + (n-1)^3 < (n^4)/4 [/tex]

Now use the result you just proved to substitute into the left and right sides of the second inequality.

What is induction and why is it important?

Induction is a mathematical method used to prove a statement for an infinite number of cases by showing that it holds true for a base case and then for the next case assuming it holds true for the previous case. It is important because it allows us to prove the validity of a statement without having to check every single case individually.

What are equations 1 and 2 and how do they relate to induction?

Equations 1 and 2 refer to the two equations used in the process of proving induction. Equation 1 is the base case, where we show that the statement holds true for a specific value. Equation 2 is the induction hypothesis, where we assume the statement holds true for a specific value and then prove it holds true for the next value. Together, these equations help us to prove the validity of a statement using induction.

What are some expert tips for solving equations 1 and 2?

Firstly, carefully consider the statement you are trying to prove before attempting to solve equations 1 and 2. It is important to understand the logic behind the statement in order to effectively use induction. Additionally, make sure to clearly state your base case and induction hypothesis before moving on to the next step. Finally, double check your work and make sure your solution is correct before concluding your proof.

What is the difference between mathematical induction and strong induction?

Mathematical induction and strong induction are similar methods, but differ in their approach. Mathematical induction assumes that the statement holds true for the next case based on the previous case, while strong induction looks at multiple previous cases to prove the validity of the next case. In other words, strong induction has a stronger assumption than mathematical induction, hence its name.

How can I use induction to solve real-world problems?

Induction can be used to solve real-world problems by breaking them down into smaller, simpler cases. By proving the validity of a statement for these smaller cases, we can then generalize the solution to the entire problem. This approach is especially useful in computer science and programming, where problems often involve a large number of cases that may be difficult to check individually.