Proving a Derived Rule with Natural Deduction: Need Help!

• Thread starter LauraSuh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the conversation revolves around proving a derived rule using Natural Deduction, specifically the use of DeMorgan's Law and the identity ##\exists x \phi\equiv \neg\forall x\neg\phi##. The speaker is stuck on the first line due to the presence of "NOT" and is seeking help in solving the problem. It is suggested to use a truth table and the theorem ##\neg\neg\phi\leftrightarrow\phi##, but the speaker needs more assistance in determining the specific Natural Deduction system being used.
LauraSuh
Hello smart people!
I was having some troubles proving this derived rule using Natural deduction:

¬(∃y.Q(y) ∧ T(y))
------------------------
∀x.Q(x) → ¬ T(x)

I got stuck in the very first line, because of the "NOT". I can't do anything if I don't take it out of there...

I know that ¬(a ∧ b) = ¬a ∨ ¬b, but I don't know how to prove that as well...

If I could only get past this very first step I'd be able to finish it, but I've been trying for hours and I can't get around it.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove DeMorgan's Law, you might want to write out a truth table.

It's also helpful to note that:

[itex] p \implies q \equiv \neg p \vee q [/itex]

I would use the identity

##\exists x \phi\equiv \neg\forall x\neg\phi## together with the theorem ##\neg\neg\phi\leftrightarrow\phi## and then de Morgan's Law.

If you need more help you will need to specify which Natural Deduction system you are using. There are many. To specify yours you need to list all the rules of inference and replacement rules you have available to you.

1. What is Natural Deduction?

Natural Deduction is a method of proof used in logic and mathematics to demonstrate the validity of a logical argument. It is based on the principle of breaking down a complex argument into smaller, simpler steps that can be proven using basic logical rules.

2. How is Natural Deduction different from other methods of proof?

Natural Deduction differs from other methods of proof, such as truth tables or axiomatic systems, in that it focuses on the structure of logical arguments rather than the truth values of individual statements. It allows for more flexibility and creativity in constructing proofs.

3. What is a Derived Rule in Natural Deduction?

A Derived Rule in Natural Deduction is a logical rule that can be proven using other basic rules and principles. It is often used to simplify and streamline the process of constructing a proof, as well as to prove more complex arguments.

4. How do you prove a Derived Rule with Natural Deduction?

To prove a Derived Rule with Natural Deduction, you must use the basic rules and principles of Natural Deduction to break down the desired rule into smaller, simpler steps. These steps must follow the logical structure of the derived rule and be proven using the basic rules.

5. What are some common challenges when using Natural Deduction to prove a Derived Rule?

Some common challenges when using Natural Deduction to prove a Derived Rule include correctly identifying and applying the basic rules, determining the correct order in which to apply the rules, and avoiding logical fallacies or errors in reasoning. It is important to carefully analyze the structure of the derived rule and break it down into smaller, manageable steps.