Proving a Equation: Solving for x in 2/(x+1) + 1/(x+2) = 1/2

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an equation that can be written in two different forms. The attempt at a solution involves multiplying fractions and rearranging equations, resulting in the correct solution. The question stated is found to be incorrect.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Show that the equation

[tex]\frac{2}{x+1}+\frac{1}{x+2} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

can be written as [tex]x^{2} + x - 4 = 0 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

mulitply the fractions on the LHS numerators by opposite denominators and multiply denominators togethter giving me:

[tex] \frac{3x + 5}{x^{2} + 3x + 2} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

cross multiply

[tex]x^{2} + 3x + 2 = 6x + 10[/tex]
which is rearanged to give [tex]x^{2} - 3x - 8 = 0 [/tex]

which is wrong :(

Where have I gone wrong
Thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to guess if the statement is right... for example using the roots of the second equation in the first equation.

indeed, your working is correct.

the question stated is obviously incorrect ...

When you place the roots found from your equation [tex]x^{2} - 3x - 8 = 0 [/tex] as Coren said back into the equation, the solution is 1/2

Steven

thomas49th said:
[tex]x^{2} + 3x + 2 = 6x + 10[/tex]
which is rearanged to give [tex]x^{2} - 3x - 8 = 0 [/tex]

which is wrong :(

Where have I gone wrong
Thx

Nope, it's totally correct. The answer the book gives is wrong.
So, congratulations. :)

1. How do I start proving an equation?

To start proving an equation, it is important to first understand the components of the equation and what it is asking you to prove. Break the equation down into smaller parts and try to find any patterns or relationships between the different elements. This will help guide your approach to the proof.

2. What are some common techniques for proving an equation?

There are several techniques that can be used to prove an equation, such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by contrapositive. Each technique has its own advantages and is used depending on the complexity and structure of the equation.

3. What should I do if I get stuck while proving an equation?

If you get stuck while proving an equation, take a step back and review the steps you have taken so far. Is there a different approach you could try? Can you break the equation down into smaller parts? It can also be helpful to discuss the problem with a classmate or teacher for a fresh perspective.

4. How do I know if my proof is correct?

To ensure the correctness of your proof, it is important to double check each step and ensure that it follows logically from the previous steps. Additionally, you can try plugging in values for the variables in the equation to see if it holds true. You can also ask a peer or teacher to review your proof for any errors.

5. What are some tips for successfully proving an equation?

Some tips for successfully proving an equation include clearly defining your variables, showing all steps and explanations, and using diagrams or illustrations to aid in your understanding. It is also helpful to practice with different types of equations and seek help when needed.