Proving Log Relationship: x2 + y2 = 11xy and log [(x-y)/3] = 0.5(logx + logy)

• Thread starter TN17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the conversation is about proving that log [ (x-y)/3 ] = 0.5 (logx +logy) using the given fact that x2 + y2 = 11xy. The speaker was initially stumped on this question for a test but is now looking for someone to show the solution. The hint provided is to subtract 2xy from both sides of the equation.
TN17
Given that x2 + y2 = 11xy

Show that log [ (x-y)/3 ] = 0.5 (logx +logy)

Similarly,

Give that log [ (x-y)/3 ] = 0.5 (logx +logy)

Show that x2 + y2 = 11xy

I really liked the log unit and understood it, but I was stumped on this question. It was for a test and it keeps bothering me.

What I did was completely wrong, but I will be able to understand it if someone shows the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use these facts:

if [tex]\log(x)=\log(y)[/tex] then [tex]x=y[/tex]

[tex]\log(x)+\log(y)=\log(xy)[/tex]

and [tex]a\cdot \log(x)=\log(x^a)[/tex]

TN17 said:
Given that x2 + y2 = 11xy

Show that log [ (x-y)/3 ] = 0.5 (logx +logy)
Here's a hint to start: subtract 2xy from both sides of
x2 + y2 = 11xy.

What does "Proving Log Relationship" mean?

Proving Log Relationship refers to using mathematical techniques and concepts to show the connection between two logarithmic equations, in this case x2 + y2 = 11xy and log [(x-y)/3] = 0.5(logx + logy).

What is the purpose of proving this log relationship?

The purpose of proving this log relationship is to demonstrate the validity of the equations and to understand the relationship between the variables x and y. This can also help in solving other related problems in mathematics and science.

How do you prove the log relationship x2 + y2 = 11xy and log [(x-y)/3] = 0.5(logx + logy)?

To prove this log relationship, we can start by taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation x2 + y2 = 11xy. This gives us log(x2 + y2) = log(11xy). Using the properties of logarithms, we can rewrite the equation as 2logx + 2logy = log11 + logx + logy. Simplifying further, we get logx + logy = log11/2. Similarly, we can manipulate the equation log [(x-y)/3] = 0.5(logx + logy) to get log(x-y) = log3(logx + logy). Combining the two equations, we get log(x-y) = log3(log11/2). From here, we can conclude that (x-y)/3 = 11/2, which satisfies the original equation x2 + y2 = 11xy.

What are the implications of this log relationship in real-life applications?

This log relationship has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. For example, it can be used to model the relationship between two variables in a system or to analyze financial data. It can also help in solving problems related to exponential growth and decay.

What are some tips for proving log relationships?

Some tips for proving log relationships include understanding the properties of logarithms, using algebraic manipulation to simplify equations, and being familiar with basic mathematical concepts such as exponentiation and logarithmic functions. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of log relationships to improve problem-solving skills.