Proving AB is Not Equal to CD in Euclidean Geometry

In summary, there is disagreement over the definition of parallel lines in Euclidean geometry. One definition states that parallel lines are two straight lines in the same plane that do not intersect. Another definition mentions the concept of "produced indefinitely in both directions" and "not meeting in either direction". There is also a question about whether the concept of parallel can be extended to curves, and if so, how it would be defined. One suggestion is to use derivatives to determine if two curves are parallel.
Imparcticle
If you had line AB is parallel to BC and BC is parallel to CD, is AB parallel to CD?
----> Not if AB=CD since a line (at least in Euclidean Geometry) cannot be parallel to itself.
How would you prove that AB is not line CD?

PLEASE NOTE: Base all your input in the realm of Euclidean geometry.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you refer to the line AB as the line going through two (different) given points, point A and point B, then clearly AB and BC both pass through the same point, point B.
Therefore if AB is not equal to BC, they will not be parallel.

Same argument goes for BC and CD.

BTW, the definition of "parallel" with which I'm familiar says that a line is parallel to itself.

No, the definition of parallel lines is: Two lines are parallel if and only if they do not intersect and they are not in the same plane. This definition holds in Euclidean geometry.
Let line AB and CD be parallel lines. Let AB=CD. Then C=A and B=D. The two lines have points in common, therefore they intersect. By definition, parallel lines do not intersect. Therefore a line cannot be parallel to itself.

All of this I base on the laws of Euclidean Geometry.

Galileo said:
If you refer to the line AB as the line going through two (different) given points, point A and point B, then clearly AB and BC both pass through the same point, point B.
Therefore if AB is not equal to BC, they will not be parallel.

Same argument goes for BC and CD.

How about lines without points in common?

"AB is parallel to BC"

If both lines go trough a point B, they have at least one point in common. Therefore, they can't be parallel (that is, if a line cannot be parallel to itself).

I agree with you, koroljov.

now let us consider AC and GP and VL. Prove that AC and VL are two different lines and they are both parallel to GP.

Imparcticle said:
No, the definition of parallel lines is: Two lines are parallel if and only if they do not intersect and they are not in the same plane. This definition holds in Euclidean geometry.
Let line AB and CD be parallel lines. Let AB=CD. Then C=A and B=D. The two lines have points in common, therefore they intersect. By definition, parallel lines do not intersect. Therefore a line cannot be parallel to itself.

All of this I base on the laws of Euclidean Geometry.

Please be more careful in quoting definitions. That definition is completely wrong!

I would also point out that if AB and CD are lines such that AB= CD, it does NOT follow that "C= A and B= D". That does not follow even for line segments rather than lines.

Imparcticle said:

I've always believed two parallel lines could be AT THE SAME PLANE...

Imparcticle said:
If you had line AB is parallel to BC and BC is parallel to CD, is AB parallel to CD?
----> Not if AB=CD since a line (at least in Euclidean Geometry) cannot be parallel to itself.
How would you prove that AB is not line CD?

PLEASE NOTE: Base all your input in the realm of Euclidean geometry.

yeah "is parallel to" is even equivalence relation:
1. AB || AB
2. if AB || BC then BC || AB
3. if AB || BC & BC || CD then AB || CD
what's all the fuss about everybody? a line can always be parallel to itself

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=parallel
dictionary.com said:
Of, relating to, or designating two or more straight coplanar lines that do not intersect.

I always thought that to be parrallel you only needed the same slope in two lines.

Also, when he said AB = CD, I don't think he was multiplying, instead he was saying the lines have the same end points. A = C and B = D.

So... is x^2 'parrallel' to x^2+1?

Alkatran said:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=parallel

I always thought that to be parrallel you only needed the same slope in two lines.
Yes, that's true but that statement, requiring trigonometry, is too complicated to be considered a definition.

Also, when he said AB = CD, I don't think he was multiplying, instead he was saying the lines have the same end points. A = C and B = D.
Yes, everyone understood that. My point was: first LINES don't have endpoints, line SEGMENTS do (and we were talking about "parallel" lines which doesn't apply to segments). Also, even for line segments AB, CD, in which A, B, C, D ARE the endpoints, AB= CD does not necessarily imply A= C and B= D. It might be that A= D and B= C!

So... is x^2 'parrallel' to x^2+1?
No, the concept of parallel we are talking about here (Euclidean geometry) only applies to straight lines.
Certainly, you could extend the concept of parallel (in several different ways, possibly) to curves. I suspect that in any reasonable definition of "parallel" for curves, the graphs given by y= x<sup>2</sup> and y= x<sup>2</sup>+ 1 would be parallel.

HallsofIvy said:
Please be more careful in quoting definitions. That definition is completely wrong!

According to this source:
http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookI/defI23.html

Parallel lines are defined as follows:

Parallel straight lines are straight lines which, being in the same plane and being produced indefinitely in both directions, do not meet one another in either direction.

How is that different from what I stated? (I am inquiring with genuine curiosity, not to be defensive)

I'm just throwing something out here, but regarding "parallel" curves (of which I've never heard any definition) such as x^2 and x^2 + 1, I would imagine that this could be solved by use of derivatives. Since the derivative is 2x in both cases, then they could be considered parallel.

However, since no actual definition exists, you could theoretically create any critieria you wish. ;)

If the first curve were sin x and the second one were sin (x + 5) + 5, you'd probably say they were parallel even though their derivatives are different. You tend to say two things are "parallel" when one can be transformed into the other solely by translation.

Imparticle said:
According to this source:
http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/ja...okI/defI23.html

Parallel lines are defined as follows:

Parallel straight lines are straight lines which, being in the same plane and being produced indefinitely in both directions, do not meet one another in either direction.

How is that different from what I stated? (I am inquiring with genuine curiosity, not to be defensive)
Yes, but your original post was (I just "cut and paste" it):

"No, the definition of parallel lines is: Two lines are parallel if and only if they do not intersect and they are not in the same plane. This definition holds in Euclidean geometry."

Specifically, you said "they are not in the same plane" which is not what you intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, thanks!

I still don't understand how only one line, A can be parallel to itself.

Depends entirely on the specific definition. I, personally, would be inclined to say that two lines are parallel if and only if they have no point in common so that a line is not parallel to itself, but if you are focusing on direction (two lines are parallel if and only if they have the same direction) you could certainly say a line is parallel to itself. It's not a definition I would use but I wouldn't argue with Hurkyl's use of it.

HallsofIvy said:
Depends entirely on the specific definition. I, personally, would be inclined to say that two lines are parallel if and only if they have no point in common...

If that's true, then skew lines are parallel.

but if you are focusing on direction (two lines are parallel if and only if they have the same direction) you could certainly say a line is parallel to itself. It's not a definition I would use but I wouldn't argue with Hurkyl's use of it.

But that isn't the definition given by Euclid. I am focusing on Euclid's definition.

Anyway, saying that a line is parallel to itself does not satisfy the hypothesis of the definition (the second one) that you gave. The hypothesis says "two lines are parallel if...", but if a line is parallel to itself, then there is no need for a second line right? I'm probably mistaken though.

I don't challenge Hurkyl (among others including you HallsofIvy); I just ask how he arrives at conclusions or just ask him questions. I am doing the same here.

Last edited:

Related to Proving AB is Not Equal to CD in Euclidean Geometry

1. What is Euclidean Geometry?

Euclidean Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of shapes and figures in two or three dimensions. It is based on the work of the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid and is still widely used today.

2. What is the definition of "AB is not equal to CD" in Euclidean Geometry?

In Euclidean Geometry, "AB is not equal to CD" means that the line segment AB and the line segment CD are of different lengths. This can be written as AB ≠ CD or as the mathematical statement AB - CD ≠ 0.

3. Why is it important to prove that AB is not equal to CD in Euclidean Geometry?

Proving that AB is not equal to CD is important because it can help us understand the relationships between different geometric figures. It also allows us to make accurate measurements and calculations in real-world applications, such as architecture and engineering.

4. What are some methods for proving AB is not equal to CD in Euclidean Geometry?

There are several methods for proving that AB is not equal to CD in Euclidean Geometry. These include using the Pythagorean Theorem, the Triangle Inequality Theorem, and the Law of Cosines. Other methods may involve using algebraic equations or geometric constructions.

5. Can AB be equal to CD in Euclidean Geometry?

No, AB cannot be equal to CD in Euclidean Geometry. In this system, two line segments are considered equal only if they have the same length. If AB and CD have different lengths, they cannot be equal. This is a fundamental concept in Euclidean Geometry and is known as the "equality of line segments."