Proving an exhausting relation in Algebra.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the determination of a new function based on a given matrix and a set of functions, and the attempt to prove a specific formula using induction. The suggested method of proof using the definition of the determinant is also mentioned. The conversation ends with the question of whether anyone can see a solution to the problem.
Tomer

Homework Statement

Hello, thanks for reading.

So, here's the problem. I'm given n2 functions fij(x), and the matrix A = (fij)
I get the definition of a new function: F(x) = detA

I need to prove, that F'(x) = [itex]\sum^{n}_{k=1}det(A_{k})[/itex]
Where Ak is a matrix identical to A, with only the k'th row being replaces with the row of the derivatives of the functions on the k'th row of A (bothersome!)

Homework Equations

Other than the expansion formula for a determinate I can't think of any.

The Attempt at a Solution

Seeing no other choice, I've tried proving this with induction. The problem is, I get lost in a maze of indexes and cannot seem to prove it.

for n=2 it's easy to show.
I assume it holds for n-1 and want to prove it for n.

That's as far as I got:

Here A[itex]^{ij}[/itex] is the minor of A at ij.

F'(x) = (detA)' = [itex](\sum_{k=1}^{n}f_{k1}detA^{k1})' = \sum_{k=1}^{n}[f'_{k1}detA^{k1} + f_{k1}(detA^{k1})'][/itex]

Now if we use the notation Fij(x) = det(A[itex]^{ij})[/itex], we get according to the induction assumtion:

= [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n}[f'_{k1}detA^{k1} + f_{k1}\sum_{k=1}^{n}detA_{k}^{k1}][/itex]

And that's where I've pretty much given up. I doubt I'm on the right track.

Does anyone see a way out?

Thanks a lot! Tomer

Physics news on Phys.org
What about proving it with the definition of the determinant:

[tex]\det(A)=\sum_{\sigma\in S_n}{sgn(\sigma)f_{1,\sigma(1)}f_{2,\sigma(2)}...f_{n,\sigma(n)}}[/tex]

This should be a lot easier...

I now realize I forgot the "sign" element in the expansion of the determinate above (how terribly bothersome!).

What is this "sigma" notation?

1. What is an exhausting relation in Algebra?

An exhausting relation in Algebra is a type of relation where every element in the domain is related to every element in the range. This means that there are no elements in the domain that are not related to at least one element in the range.

2. How do you prove an exhausting relation in Algebra?

To prove an exhausting relation in Algebra, you can use a direct proof method. This involves showing that every element in the domain is related to at least one element in the range. You can also use a proof by contradiction, where you assume that there is an element in the domain that is not related to any element in the range, and then show that this assumption leads to a contradiction.

3. What is the difference between an exhausting relation and a one-to-one relation?

An exhausting relation is a type of relation where every element in the domain is related to every element in the range, while a one-to-one relation is a type of relation where each element in the domain is related to only one element in the range. In other words, an exhausting relation can have multiple elements in the domain that are related to the same element in the range, while a one-to-one relation cannot.

4. Can an exhausting relation be symmetric?

Yes, an exhausting relation can be symmetric. This means that if element A is related to element B, then element B is also related to element A. However, not all exhausting relations are symmetric. It depends on the specific elements and their relationships in the relation.

5. Why is proving an exhausting relation important in Algebra?

Proving an exhausting relation is important in Algebra because it helps us understand the relationship between elements in a relation and how they are connected. It also allows us to make generalizations and draw conclusions about the elements in the relation. Additionally, proving an exhausting relation is a fundamental concept in Algebra that is used in many other areas of mathematics and science.