Proving an inverse of a groupoid is unique

In summary, the conversation discusses the uniqueness of the inverse element in a groupoid and the possibility of proving this without considering the associative property of the semigroup. The idea of creating a new algebraic structure, called a "oneoid", by removing the requirement of associativity is also mentioned. However, it is unclear how this new structure would affect the uniqueness of the identity element and the definition of an inverse.
Matejxx1
Hello
I have a question about the uniqueness of the inverse element in a groupoid. When we were in class our profesor wrote ##\text{Let} (M,*) \,\text{be a monoid then the inverse (if it exists) is unique}##. He then went off to prove that and I understood it, however I got curious and started thinking if it is possible to prove that there is only one unique inverse without taking into account the associative property of the semigroup. So then I started trying to prove it but I didn't really get too far and I tried looking online and also didn't find much about it. Could anybody tell me how this would be done ?
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matejxx1 said:
Hello
I have a question about the uniqueness of the inverse element in a groupoid. When we were in class our profesor wrote ##\text{Let} (M,*) \,\text{be a monoid then the inverse (if it exists) is unique}##. He then went off to prove that and I understood it, however I got curious and started thinking if it is possible to prove that there is only one unique inverse without taking into account the associative property of the semigroup. So then I started trying to prove it but I didn't really get too far and I tried looking online and also didn't find much about it. Could anybody tell me how this would be done ?
thanks
If you have only a binary operation and a unit, you can define whatever you want. E.g.
$$ \begin{bmatrix}*&e&a&b&c\\e&e&a&b&c\\a&a&b&e&e\\b&b&e&c&b\\c&c&e&b&a\\\end{bmatrix} $$

Matejxx1 said:
Could anybody tell me how this would be done ?
If it is a false statement then it can't be done.

The general form of your question is "How do I prove a theorem about an algebraic structure that has certain properties without using some of those properties? ". The usual interpretation of that type of question is that we consider a different algebraic structure that is formed by removing some properties of the original algebraic structure. Then we try to prove the theorem for this new structure. (Of course "algebraic structure" refers to the collection of possible examples that satisfy the definition of that structure. So if we remove properties from the definition of a structure we enlarge the number of examples that we must consider. If we enlarge the number of examples then we incur the risk of allowing an example where the statement of our theorem is false.)

If we take the definition of monoid and remove the requirement that it be associative then we create a definition of a new algebraic structure. Even if we keep the requirement that an identity element exists in this new structure it is not clear that the identity element is unique. If we don't have a unique identity element, then how do we define an inverse of an element x in this new algebraic structure? We would have to look at the definition for "the inverse of x" in a monoid and see if that definition relies on the uniqueness of the identity in a monoid.

If you mean a two sided identity how could it fail to be unique? 1a1b=?.

Likes Stephen Tashi
Stephen Tashi wrote:

"If we take the definition of monoid and remove the requirement that it be associative then we create a definition of a new algebraic structure."

I propose the the name oneoid after J. Milton Hayes.

1. What is a groupoid?

A groupoid is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements and a binary operation defined on that set. The operation must be associative and every element must have an inverse element.

2. What does it mean for an inverse of a groupoid to be unique?

The inverse of a groupoid is unique when there is only one element in the groupoid that satisfies the definition of an inverse for each element in the groupoid. In other words, there is only one way to "undo" the operation for each element.

3. Why is it important to prove the uniqueness of an inverse in a groupoid?

Proving the uniqueness of an inverse in a groupoid is important because it guarantees that the operation defined on the set is well-defined and consistent. This makes it easier to perform calculations and ensures that the groupoid follows the rules of algebra.

4. How is the uniqueness of an inverse in a groupoid proven?

The uniqueness of an inverse in a groupoid is proven by showing that if there are two possible inverses for an element, they must be equal. This can be done by using the properties of the groupoid and performing algebraic manipulations.

5. Can the uniqueness of an inverse be proven for any groupoid?

No, the uniqueness of an inverse cannot be proven for any groupoid. The groupoid must satisfy certain conditions, such as being associative and having an identity element, for the proof to be valid.