Proving completeness of a metri space X

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: I don't think it's necessary to mention B(xN, ε) separately, but it doesn't hurt. And I don't know what Theorem 28.1. or Lemma 43.1. are, so I can't comment on that. In summary, we have shown that if X is a metric space and there exists some ε > 0 such that every ε-ball in X has a compact closure, then X is complete. This can be proven by choosing an appropriate N and using the triangle inequality to show that all but finitely many members of a Cauchy sequence lie in an ε-ball, and then taking the union of the closures of the ε-balls to show
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I feel there's something wrong with my solution, so I'd like to check it tout.

Let X be a metric space and suppose that there exists some ε > 0 such that every ε-ball in X has a compact closure. Show that X is complete.

(btw, it would be enough, in the formulation of the problem to assume that every ε-ball in X is compact, since X is Hausdorff, and compact subspaces are closed, right?)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, let xn be a Cauchy sequence in X. Choose ε > 0 such that every ε-ball has a compact closure. Choose N such that for any n, m >= N, we have |xn - xm| < ε. Hence, there exists an ε-ball containing all but finitely many members of the sequence xn. For this finite number of members of the sequence, choose for each an ε- ball containing it. Now, a finite union of such compact ε-balls is compact, and hence sequentially compact. So, xn has a convergent subsequence, so X is complete. (actually, more precisely, the union of the ε-balls is complete, but since they are a subspace of X, and we have chosen a Cauchy sequence in X, we arrived at a convergent subsequence in X again, hence I concluded that X is complete=

Thanks in advance, but for some reason, after dealing with more abstract issues, I feel a but unsure about metric spaces. :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
radou said:
Let X be a metric space and suppose that there exists some ε > 0 such that every ε-ball in X has a compact closure. Show that X is complete.

(btw, it would be enough, in the formulation of the problem to assume that every ε-ball in X is compact, since X is Hausdorff, and compact subspaces are closed, right?)
This would be a stronger assumption, since "is compact" implies "has compact closure".

radou said:
Choose N such that for any n, m >= N, we have |xn - xm| < ε. Hence, there exists an ε-ball containing all but finitely many members of the sequence xn.
I think you need to choose |xn - xm| < ε/2, and use the triangle inequality to prove that your conclusion holds.

radou said:
For this finite number of members of the sequence, choose for each an ε- ball containing it. Now, a finite union of such compact ε-balls is compact, and hence sequentially compact. So, xn has a convergent subsequence, so X is complete. (actually, more precisely, the union of the ε-balls is complete, but since they are a subspace of X, and we have chosen a Cauchy sequence in X, we arrived at a convergent subsequence in X again, hence I concluded that X is complete=
I would add a few words to explain why "has a convergent subsequence" and "is a Cauchy sequence" implies "is convergent". Also, you didn't prove that the union of the ε-balls is complete. You proved that the union of their closures is.

So your proof contains a couple of inaccurate (but easily fixed) statements, and a couple that should be clarified, but as far as I can tell it will be a correct proof when you have fixed those issues.

Fredrik, thanks for the reply. I'll go step by step.

Fredrik said:
This would be a stronger assumption, since "is compact" implies "has compact closure".

Of course, it would be stronger, but it still implies that the closure would need to be compact, since a compact subspace of a Hausdorff space is necessarily closed.

Fredrik said:
I think you need to choose |xn - xm| < ε/2, and use the triangle inequality to prove that your conclusion holds.

OK, I'm interested if this statement holds:

If xn is a Cauchy sequence, choose N such that whenever m, n >= N, |xm - xn| < ε holds. Now, choose an ε-ball around xN. Then all but finitely many members of the sequence lie in that ε-ball, right?

So, if this is correct, then for every member of the sequence (the number of such members is finite) which doesn't lie is the ball B(xN, ε), choose an ε-ball containing it. The union of the closures of these ε-balls, along with B(xN, ε), is compact. By Theorem 28.1. (Munkres), compactness of this set implies its sequential compactness, hence our sequence xn has a convergent subsequence. By Lemma 43.1., X is complete.

radou said:
Of course, it would be stronger, but it still implies that the closure would need to be compact, since a compact subspace of a Hausdorff space is necessarily closed.
Now that I think about it (more than before), what I should have said is that the alternative assumption doesn't really make sense. An ε-ball is an open ball with radius ε, right? So we can't assume that it's compact, because that would imply that it's also closed. A non-empty proper subset of a metric space can be both open and closed, but only if the space is disconnected. For example, if our space is the union of the open balls with radius 1 around (1,0) and (-1,0) in ℝ2 with the metric inherited from the standard metric on ℝ2, then those two open balls would be both open and closed. However, I don't know a way to make sense of the assumption that all open balls (or even all ε-balls with a specific value of ε) are compact.

radou said:
OK, I'm interested if this statement holds:

If xn is a Cauchy sequence, choose N such that whenever m, n >= N, |xm - xn| < ε holds. Now, choose an ε-ball around xN. Then all but finitely many members of the sequence lie in that ε-ball, right?
Ah, yes, that was a mistake on my part.

radou said:
So, if this is correct, then for every member of the sequence (the number of such members is finite) which doesn't lie is the ball B(xN, ε), choose an ε-ball containing it. The union of the closures of these ε-balls, along with B(xN, ε), is compact. By Theorem 28.1. (Munkres), compactness of this set implies its sequential compactness, hence our sequence xn has a convergent subsequence. By Lemma 43.1., X is complete.
Looks good.

Fredrik said:
Now that I think about it (more than before), what I should have said is that the alternative assumption doesn't really make sense. An ε-ball is an open ball with radius ε, right? So we can't assume that it's compact, because that would imply that it's also closed. A non-empty proper subset of a metric space can be both open and closed, but only if the space is disconnected. For example, if our space is the union of the open balls with radius 1 around (1,0) and (-1,0) in ℝ2 with the metric inherited from the standard metric on ℝ2, then those two open balls would be both open and closed. However, I don't know a way to make sense of the assumption that all open balls (or even all ε-balls with a specific value of ε) are compact.

Yes, I agree with you... It seems it wouldn't make sense.

Fredrik said:
Ah, yes, that was a mistake on my part.

Looks good.

OK, thanks!

1. What is completeness in a metric space?

Completeness in a metric space refers to the property that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point within the space. In other words, every sequence that gets closer and closer together eventually has a limit point within the space.

2. How is completeness proven in a metric space?

Completeness is typically proven by showing that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point within the space. This can be done by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the properties of the metric space, such as the triangle inequality and the completeness axiom.

3. Why is completeness important in a metric space?

Completeness is important in a metric space because it ensures that the space is well-behaved and allows for the development of important concepts such as convergence and continuity. It also guarantees that certain theorems and properties hold true within the space.

4. Can a metric space be incomplete?

Yes, a metric space can be incomplete. A space is considered incomplete if there exists at least one Cauchy sequence in the space that does not converge to a point within the space. Incomplete spaces are often "filled in" by adding limit points to create a complete space.

5. What are some examples of complete metric spaces?

Some examples of complete metric spaces include Euclidean spaces, such as the real numbers, which satisfy the completeness axiom. Other examples include the space of continuous functions on a closed interval, and the space of square-integrable functions on a finite interval.