Proving d, e and f as Linear Combinations of a, b and c

In summary, the problem states that given certain inequalities and equations involving real numbers, d, e, and f can be expressed as linear combinations of a, b, and c with specific coefficients. However, it is unclear how to find these coefficients and the final goal of the problem is not clear.
andreass

Homework Statement

Given:
a>=b>=c>=0,
d>=e>=f>=0,
a>=d
a+b>=d+e
a+b+c=d+e+f
a,b,c,d,e,f belong to Real numbers

Prove that d, e, f can be expressed as linear combinations of a, b and c in such way:
d=(c1+c2)*a+(c3+c4)*b+(c5+c6)*c
e = (c1+c6)*a+(c2+c4)*b+(c3+c5)*c
f=(c1+c3)*a+(c2+c5)*b+(c4+c6)*c

c1, c2, c3, c4, c5, c5 >=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Only thing I can prove is that c1+c2+c3+c4+c5+c6 = 1 (using a+b+c=d+e+f).
I think I need to find some expression for b, to be able do something, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org

a+b+c=d+e+f

Is it correct or should it be:
a+b+c>=d+e+f ?

Quinzio said:
a+b+c=d+e+f
Is it correct ?

there's no mistake.
a+b+c=d+e+f is correct

I've tried to play with the expressions and something else is coming out, but I don't get nowhere.
Example:
may I let
a=d
b=c=e=f=0 ?
I don't see why I couldn't, every equation is respected.
This leads to
c1+c2=1
c1+c6=0
c1+c3=0

Since:
c1+c2=1 and c1+c2+c3+c4+c5+c6=1
c3+c4+c5+c6=0

So far so good.
Then I assume
d=e=f=1
a=(1+k)
b=1
c=(1-k)
again, everything is respected.
Using the last assumption into d=(c1+c2)*a+(c3+c4)*b+(c5+c6)*c
I get c1+c2=c5+c6
Since c1+c2=1, c5+c6=1

Then recalling c3+c4+c5+c6=0
I conclude c3+c4=-1

But this is against the problem constraint:

So what do we do here ?
Is there any flaw in my logic chain ? Any mistake ?
I don't get the final goal of the problem...
c1...c6 should be constant real number, or should they be functions of a,b,c,d,e,f ?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

c1..c6 are coefficients, but I think they will probably change when a,b,c,d,e,f change.

andreass said:
c1..c6 are coefficients, but I think they will probably change when a,b,c,d,e,f change.

OK, so they are functions of a,b,c,d,e,f.

But what about my conclusion
c3+c4=-1
But this is against the problem constraint:

Do you have a solution, if not bring my conclusion to your teacher, whoever.

1. Can you explain what it means for d, e, and f to be linear combinations of a, b, and c?

When we say that d, e, and f are linear combinations of a, b, and c, it means that they can be expressed as a combination of these three values using multiplication and addition. In other words, d, e, and f can be represented as a linear equation in terms of a, b, and c.

2. How can we prove that d, e, and f are linear combinations of a, b, and c?

To prove that d, e, and f are linear combinations of a, b, and c, we need to find values of x, y, and z such that d = xa + yb + zc, e = xa + yb + zc, and f = xa + yb + zc. This shows that d, e, and f can be expressed as a linear combination of a, b, and c.

3. What is the significance of proving d, e, and f as linear combinations of a, b, and c?

Proving d, e, and f as linear combinations of a, b, and c allows us to understand the relationship between these values. It also helps us to solve equations and find solutions for unknown variables using the concept of linear combinations.

4. Can you provide an example of proving d, e, and f as linear combinations of a, b, and c?

Sure, let's say we have the values a = 2, b = 3, c = 5, and d = 11, e = 19, f = 31. We can express d, e, and f as linear combinations of a, b, and c by finding values of x, y, and z that satisfy the equations 11 = 2x + 3y + 5z, 19 = 2x + 3y + 5z, and 31 = 2x + 3y + 5z. In this case, x = 3, y = 1, and z = 0, so we can write d = 3a + b, e = 3a + b, and f = 3a + b as linear combinations of a, b, and c.

5. Are there any specific methods or techniques for proving d, e, and f as linear combinations of a, b, and c?

Yes, there are various methods for proving linear combinations, such as substitution, elimination, and matrix operations. The method used may depend on the specific equations and values involved.