Proving equivalence of two sinusoidal formulas

In summary: Basically what happened was I thought I could use Young's two-slit formula to solve this, which is ΔL = d sinθ = mλ, but the instructions said I couldn't. So instead I used the vectorial path length difference, which was:ΔL = d(\sqrt{\frac{37}{4} + 3 sin(θ)} - \sqrt{\frac{37}{4} - 3 sin(θ)}) = mλ,I got a bunch of nonsensical answers like -136.7, 359.2, and so on, so I gave up. I'm curious to know how you got the exact solution.I got a bunch of nonsensical answers like -
xodin

Homework Statement

While doing a physics assignment today, I came up with an expression in my answer that appears to be equivalent to sin(θ), however, i couldn't find a way to manipulate the expression to prove that it was. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to a way that I could have shown that these two expressions are equal, without having to use the support of a logical argument or graph? I want to figure out how I could have done this using nothing but algebra and trig identities.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{37}{4} + 3sin(θ)} - \sqrt{\frac{37}{4} - 3sin(θ)} = sin(θ)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried what I can but don't get very far. I even enlisted the help of a computer algebra system to see if it simplified it in a way I didn't recognize, but no joy. BTW, this is just for curiosity, not actual homework. Thanks for any help provided!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
xodin said:

Homework Statement

While doing a physics assignment today, I came up with an expression in my answer that is equivalent to sin(θ), however, i couldn't find a way to manipulate the expression to prove that it was. Could anyone point me in the right direction as to a way that I could have shown that these two expressions are equal, without having to use the support of a logical argument or graph? I want to figure out how I could have done this using nothing but algebra and trig identities.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sqrt{\frac{37}{4} + 3sin(θ)} - \sqrt{\frac{37}{4} - 3sin(θ)} = sin(θ)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried what I can but don't get very far. I even enlisted the help of a computer algebra system to see if it simplified it in a way I didn't recognize, but no joy. BTW, this is just for curiosity, not actual homework. Thanks for any help provided!

It's not really correct. The left side is actually a pretty good approximation to the right side, but it's not exact. Take your calculator and put theta=1.

Dick said:
It's not really correct. The left side is actually a pretty good approximation to the right side, but it's not exact. Take your calculator and put theta=1.

Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for the response. The graphs appear to overlap exactly, but of course there could be very minor differences that the resolution can't resolve. Are you positive it's the expressions that aren't equal and not the calculator's approximation of floating point values that's causing the disparity?

xodin said:
Oh, that's interesting. Thanks for the response. The graphs appear to overlap exactly, but of course there could be very minor differences that the resolution can't resolve. Are you positive it's the expressions that aren't equal and not the calculator's approximation of floating point values that's causing the disparity?

Actually I was able to use a different graphing application and turned the resolution way up by zooming in, and you're right, they are just a hair different. Amazing. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Turns out they are only ~0.0035 apart from each other at the widest spot of divergence (near 0.5 and -0.5) and virtually inseparable near 0, 1, and -1.

Last edited:
xodin said:
Actually I was able to use a different graphing application and turned the resolution way up by zooming in, and you're right, they are just a hair different. Amazing. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: Turns out they are only ~0.0035 apart from each other at the widest spot of divergence (near 0.5 and -0.5) and virtually inseparable near 0, 1, and -1.

In fact they are exactly equal when sin(θ)=0, 1 and -1. Now you've got me all curious. How did you come up with that contraption?

Dick said:
In fact they are exactly equal when sin(θ)=0, 1 and -1. Now you've got me all curious. How did you come up with that contraption?

I was working a physics problem with two radio beacons spaced d=20 m away, each +/- d/2 away from the origin in the y-direction. They were broadcasting in-phase waves of 0.5 m wavelength, and there was a plane flying in a radius r=3*d=60 m circle with a radio that was cutting in and out due to the intermittent interference. We had to find the path length difference as a function of θ, phase difference as a function of θ, and number of maxima (max constructive interference angles) that occur in one trip around the circle. Similar to two-slit interference problems.

Basically what happened was I thought I could use Young's two-slit formula to solve this, which is ΔL = d sinθ = mλ, but the instructions said I couldn't. So instead I used the vectorial path length difference, which was:

[itex]ΔL = d(\sqrt{\frac{37}{4} + 3 sin(θ)} - \sqrt{\frac{37}{4} - 3 sin(θ)}) = mλ[/itex]

However, when solving for possible values of m, I tried it out both ways and found they had the same result, so I opened up my grapher application and graphed them both and they are remarkably identical; but you are right that they do diverge very, very slightly--roughly 0.0035 or so y-value difference at the most divergent spot.

Attachments

• path_diff.png
    path_diff.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 475
  • Take Home Problem 13.pdf
    467.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Intriguing.
If you write √(α+ n x) - √(α- n x) = x then this simplifies to x=0 or α = n2 + x2/4. With α = n2 + 1/4, it's a perfect match at x = 0 and ±1.

Just for fun I made some measurements using a computer program. The maximum difference between the values of the two functions at any given point is 0.005321, and it occurs four times, at pi/5, 4pi/5, 6pi/5, and 9pi/5.

Substitute sinθ = y, and then expand the left hand expression in a McLauren series in y. See what you get. The y2 term will drop out, and the coefficent of y will be √(36/37).

Oop. I forgot this is precalculus math. Instead of expanding in a McLauran series, express each of the terms on the left hand side using the binomial theorem.

1. How do you prove that two sinusoidal formulas are equivalent?

To prove equivalence of two sinusoidal formulas, you must show that they produce the same output for all possible input values. This can be done by solving for the values of the variables in each formula and comparing the results.

2. What is the process for proving equivalence of two sinusoidal formulas?

The process for proving equivalence of two sinusoidal formulas involves manipulating the formulas to be in the same form, solving for the variables, and comparing the results. This may also involve using trigonometric identities and properties.

3. Can two sinusoidal formulas be equivalent if they have different amplitudes and periods?

Yes, two sinusoidal formulas can still be equivalent even if they have different amplitudes and periods. As long as they produce the same output for all possible input values, they can be considered equivalent.

4. What is the significance of proving equivalence of two sinusoidal formulas?

Proving equivalence of two sinusoidal formulas is important in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and mathematics. It allows for a deeper understanding of the relationship between different sinusoidal functions and their properties.

5. Are there any limitations to proving equivalence of two sinusoidal formulas?

One limitation is that the formulas must be in the same form in order to be compared. This means that one formula may need to be manipulated and simplified before equivalence can be proven. Additionally, proving equivalence does not necessarily mean that the formulas are identical, as they can still have minor differences in terms of phase shift or frequency.