Proving Gradient of Electric Field in Coaxial Line Dielectric is 0

In summary, the conversation is about showing that the gradient of the electric field is equal to zero in the dielectric of a coaxial line. The hint suggests applying the divergence theorem to a portion of the dielectric, and the participant mentions the need to show that grad dot E equals p/epsilon. The other participant clarifies that grad only applies to scalar fields and suggests using "div" instead. They also ask if the first participant knows the equation for the electric field of a coaxial line and if they know how to find the divergence of a vector field. The conversation ends with a suggestion to simply apply the divergence theorem and to refer to the textbook for more information.
renegade05

Homework Statement

Show that (Grad dot E) =0 in the dielectric of a coaxial line.
(Hint: apply the divergence theorem to a portion of the dielectric.)

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to show that grad dot E = p/epsilon = 0

I don't know - I'm stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I need to show that grad dot E = p/epsilon = 0
... Well that would be false wouldn't it?
Grad only applies to scalar fields. I think you mean "div" rather than grad.

Do you know the equation for the electric field of a coax line?
Do you know how to find the divergence of a vector field?

Apply the divergence theorem --- do EXACTLY what the hint tells you. Simply apply the divergence thm and take Ea to be E from inner surface and Eb to be the E from the outer surface.

Or, since we're probably in the same class read up on the divergence thm and dielectrics from the book.

What is the concept of gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric?

The gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric refers to the change in electric field strength per unit distance along the direction of the electric field. It is a measure of the rate at which the electric field strength changes as one moves away from the center of the coaxial line.

Why is it important to prove that the gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric is 0?

Proving that the gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric is 0 is important because it helps to ensure that the electric field is constant and uniform along the length of the coaxial line. This is essential for the proper functioning of the line and prevents any unwanted interference or distortion of the electric signal being transmitted.

What factors affect the gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric?

The gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric can be affected by the dielectric material used, the diameter and spacing of the conductors, and the voltage applied. These factors can alter the electric field strength and lead to a non-zero gradient.

How is the gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric calculated?

The gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric can be calculated using the formula: ∇E = (V/d)ln(b/a), where V is the voltage applied, d is the distance between the conductors, and a and b are the inner and outer radii of the coaxial line, respectively.

What are the practical applications of a zero gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric?

A zero gradient of electric field in a coaxial line dielectric is important in various practical applications such as high-speed data transmission, radio frequency signal transmission, and in the design of electronic components such as capacitors and inductors. It also helps to reduce energy losses and improve the efficiency of the transmission line.