Proving Identities: cotx-tanx=2cot 2x

• Thread starter keishaap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary: If you master the basics, you'll have a much better time with this material.In summary, the conversation focuses on a proof that cotx-tanx=2cot 2x and the use of fractions in simplifying the equation. The person providing assistance suggests reviewing basic fraction addition and subtraction in order to better understand the problem.
keishaap

Homework Statement

Prove that cotx-tanx=2cot 2x

Homework Equations

Is 2cot 2x the same as 2(cos2x/sin2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
keishaap said:

Homework Statement

Prove that cotx-tanx=2cot 2x

Homework Equations

Is 2cot 2x the same as 2(cos2x/sin2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes.

LCKurtz said:
Yes.

Okay so i get 2(cos^2-sin^2)/(2sinxcosx) when i divide my sins what do i do with the 2 in the denominator?

keishaap said:
Okay so i get 2(cos^2-sin^2)/(2sinxcosx) when i divide my sins what do i do with the 2 in the denominator?

Just write that as two fractions and compare it to the left side.

LCKurtz said:
Just write that as two fractions and compare it to the left side.

So its 2(cosx/2sinx)-(sinx/cosx) do the 2 go on both fractions? And i thought you couldn't separate the fractions unless tgey had the same denominator?

keishaap said:
You have a 2 in the numerator and a 2 in the denominator. You can cancel the 2's. Then split what you have into two fractions.

you would want to write (2(cos^2x-sin^2x))/(2sinxcosx) as 2 fractions. the two cancels out.

462chevelle said:
you would want to write (2(cos^2x-sin^2x))/(2sinxcosx) as 2 fractions. the two cancels out.

So would the fractions look like cos^2 x/sinx and sin^2x/cosx ?

your whole denominator needs to carry into both fractions

462chevelle said:
your whole denominator needs to carry into both fractions

So what would it look like?

keishaap said:
So would the fractions look like cos^2 x/sinx and sin^2x/cosx ?
You need to review basic fraction addition and subtraction. One place to start would be khanacademy.org.

Mark44 said:
You need to review basic fraction addition and subtraction. One place to start would be khanacademy.org.
this.

Lol ever have one of those brain farts where you think things are harder than the seem? Yeah give me a break.

keishaap said:

keishaap said:
So its 2(cosx/2sinx)-(sinx/cosx) do the 2 go on both fractions? And i thought you couldn't separate the fractions unless tgey had the same denominator?

keishaap said:
Lol ever have one of those brain farts where you think things are harder than the seem? Yeah give me a break.
The questions you asked in the first two quotes above suggest that you're having trouble with the basics, rather than just a momentary lapse. Some review of how to add and multiply fractions would go a long way. If you don't have the mechanics down cold, you absolutely will not be able to complete proofs like the one you posted in this thread.

This isn't meant to be a personal criticism of you - I'm just pointing out an area with some weakness that will keep you from being successful.

What is the identity being proven?

The identity being proven is cotx-tanx=2cot 2x.

What is the first step in proving this identity?

The first step is to rewrite cotx and tanx in terms of sinx and cosx using the definition of cotangent and tangent.

How do you simplify the left side of the equation?

By using the double angle identity for cotangent, cot 2x = (cot^2x-1)/(2cotx), and substituting it into the left side of the equation.

What is the next step after simplifying the left side?

The next step is to use the Pythagorean identity (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1) to simplify the resulting expression.

How do you prove that the left side is equal to the right side?

After simplifying both sides, use algebraic manipulation to show that they are equivalent. This may involve using trigonometric identities such as the double angle identities and the Pythagorean identity.