Proving Limit of Integral of Continuous f w/ Jordans Lemma

In summary: So the limit of the integral is zero.In summary, using the estimation lemma and the given conditions, it can be shown that the limit of the integral of a continuously defined function f over a semicircular contour CR is equal to zero.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Suppose that f is continuous and that there exist constants A,B ≥ 0 and k>1 such that |f(z)|≤A|z|−k for all z such that |z|>B. let CR denote the semicircle given by |z| = R, Re(z) ≥ 0. Prove that limR→∞∫f(z)dz=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what I'm prooving here. I think it has something to do with jordans lemma but I haven't a clue! any ideas...please...

Physics news on Phys.org
It is against forum rules to create multiple threads for the same problem.

Have you learned the estimation lemma yet?

Hi!
Sorry about the multiple thread but I called it jordans lemma then thought, it might have nothing to do with it but I couldn't delete the thread after creating it!

I haven't done the estimation lemma but I looked it up
Let f : U[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]C be continuous (where U is some subset of C), let [itex]\gamma[/itex] be a path in U, and suppose |f(z)| < M for all z [itex]\in \lambda[/itex]. Let length( [itex]\lambda[/itex])= L. Then

|[itex]\int[/itex]f(z)dz| [itex]\leq[/itex] ML.

I deleted the other thread. Next time, just hit the report button and ask a mentor to edit or delete the thread for you.

gtfitzpatrick said:
I haven't done the estimation lemma but I looked it up
Let f : U[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]C be continuous (where U is some subset of C), let [itex]\gamma[/itex] be a path in U, and suppose |f(z)| < M for all z [itex]\in \lambda[/itex]. Let length( [itex]\lambda[/itex])= L. Then

|[itex]\int[/itex]f(z)dz| [itex]\leq[/itex] ML.

It is probably in your textbook, but just not named. Many texts (c.f. Mathematical Methods for Physicists A Concise Introduction Tai L. Chow p. 255) simply list it as a property of complex integrals and give a short proof of it.

What is the arclength [itex]L[/itex] of your semicircular contour CR? If [itex]|f(z)| \leq A|z|^{-k}[/itex] (which is what I assume you meant when you wrote |f(z)|≤A|z|−k) and [itex]|z|>B>0[/itex], what is an upper bound for [itex]|f(z)|[/itex] on your semi-circular contour?

What does that tell you about [itex]\left| \int_{CR} f(z) dz \right|[/itex]?

The arc length is[itex]\pi r[/itex]

[itex] |f(z)| \leq A|z|^{-k} [/itex] the semicircle is given by |z| = R so for k>1, if the value of R gets bigger, then the value of [itex] \frac{A}{|z|^{k}} [/itex] gets smaller so as R[itex]\rightarrow\infty[/itex] then [itex] |f(z)| \rightarrow [/itex] 0
I guess that's what ther're saying but i guess i better try and word it better

gtfitzpatrick said:
The arc length is[itex]\pi r[/itex]

[itex] |f(z)| \leq A|z|^{-k} [/itex] the semicircle is given by |z| = R so for k>1, if the value of R gets bigger, then the value of [itex] \frac{A}{|z|^{k}} [/itex] gets smaller so as R[itex]\rightarrow\infty[/itex] then [itex] |f(z)| \rightarrow [/itex] 0

Right or, using the estimation lemma with the fact that [itex]|f(z)| \leq A|R|^{-k} [/itex], you have

[tex]\left| \lim_{R \to \infty} \int_{CR} f(z)dz \right| = \lim_{R \to \infty} \left| \int_{CR} f(z)dz \right| \leq \lim_{R \to \infty} \left( A|R|^{-k} \right) = 0[/tex]

1. What is Jordans Lemma?

Jordans Lemma is a mathematical theorem that is used to prove the limit of an integral of a continuous function. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and has a finite limit at each point, then the integral of the function over that interval also has a finite limit.

2. How is Jordans Lemma used to prove the limit of an integral?

Jordans Lemma is used by first showing that the function has a finite limit at each point on the closed interval. Then, by using the definition of a limit, we can show that the limit of the integral approaches the same value. This proves that the limit of the integral is also finite.

3. Can Jordans Lemma be used for all continuous functions?

No, Jordans Lemma can only be used for continuous functions on a closed interval. Additionally, the function must have a finite limit at each point on that interval.

4. Are there any limitations to using Jordans Lemma?

One limitation of Jordans Lemma is that it can only be used for functions on a closed interval. Additionally, it may not work for functions that have a discontinuity or infinite limit at any point on the interval.

5. How does Jordans Lemma relate to the Riemann integral?

Jordans Lemma is often used in conjunction with the Riemann integral to prove the limit of the integral. The Riemann integral is a method for calculating the area under a curve, and Jordans Lemma helps to prove that the limit of the integral approaches a finite value.