Proving limit of trigonometric functions

In summary, the problem is to prove the limit of a trigonometric expression involving an infinite geometric series converges to 1. Attempts using trigonometric identities have failed and the use of Euler's formula only leads to a result of 0. Further exploration may be needed to determine the convergence of the series.
exraven

Homework Statement

Prove:
lim (n→0) {(sin n cos n) / (ⁿ√(1 - tan² 2n + tan⁴ 2n - tan⁶ 2n + ...))} = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The denominator is an infinite geometric series, using the sum formula of an infinite geometric series, I simplify the limit:
lim (n→0) {(sin n cos n) / (ⁿ√(1 - tan² 2n + tan⁴ 2n - tan⁶ 2n + ...))}
= lim (n→0) {(sin n cos n) / (ⁿ√(1 / (1 + tan² 2n)))}

After a few tries, i can't figure out what to do with the ⁿ√, rationalizing the denominator won't work because the ⁿ√ will stuck in the numerator. L'hopital is not allowed because this is a high school limit problem. Could anyone give me some hints to solve this ? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry for the late reply, i was struggling to solve the problem. It seems that trigonometric identities won't work, the closest one is using the euler's formula, the result is 0. It fail to prove the problem though, maybe it is a false problem after all.

Part of the problem is that the limit above doesn't equal 1. And the best way I can think of to do this is to find just what the infinite series converges to. Although I'm not sure if that's in the scope of the problem.

1. What is the definition of a limit in trigonometric functions?

The limit of a trigonometric function is the value that the function approaches as its input approaches a certain value, known as the limit point. This can be written mathematically as f(x) → L as x → a, where f(x) is the trigonometric function, L is the limit, and a is the limit point.

2. How do you prove the limit of a trigonometric function using epsilon-delta definition?

The epsilon-delta definition of a limit states that for any ε > 0, there exists a δ > 0 such that if the distance between the input x and the limit point a is less than δ, then the distance between the output f(x) and the limit L is less than ε. To prove the limit of a trigonometric function using this definition, we must manipulate the trigonometric expression algebraically until we can find a δ value that satisfies the inequality.

3. Can you use the squeeze theorem to prove the limit of a trigonometric function?

Yes, the squeeze theorem can be used to prove the limit of a trigonometric function. This theorem states that if two functions, g(x) and h(x), both approach the same limit L as x approaches a, and f(x) is always between g(x) and h(x) (i.e. g(x) ≤ f(x) ≤ h(x)), then f(x) also approaches L as x approaches a. By finding two simpler functions that have the same limit as the trigonometric function and sandwich the function between them, we can use the squeeze theorem to prove the limit.

4. How do you prove the limit of a trigonometric function using trigonometric identities?

To prove the limit of a trigonometric function using trigonometric identities, we can manipulate the expression using identities such as sin²x + cos²x = 1 or sin(x+y) = sinxcosy + cosxsiny. By substituting these identities into the expression and simplifying, we can often reduce the expression into a form that is easier to evaluate the limit of.

5. Is there a general method for proving the limit of any trigonometric function?

There is no single general method for proving the limit of any trigonometric function, as the process can vary depending on the specific function and limit point. However, some common techniques include using the epsilon-delta definition, the squeeze theorem, and trigonometric identities to manipulate the expression into a more manageable form. It is important to have a good understanding of trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations in order to effectively prove the limit of a trigonometric function.