Proving Non-Continuity of a Function with Multiple Attained Values

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that a function f: [0,1] -> [0,1] that attains each of its values exactly twice cannot be continuous. The approach used involves breaking the function into cases and using the Intermediate Value Theorem to show that there must be a value attained three times. The conversation also touches on the concept of relative minima and maxima in relation to the function's behavior.
kbfrob

Homework Statement

Suppose f: [0,1] -> [0,1] is such that f attains each of its values exactly twice
Show that f cannot be continuous

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that f is continuous and tried to break it up into cases and show that there must be a value that is obtained 3 times.
since f is defined on an interval it has a sup and an inf (each attained twice by hypothesis). my cases are the order in which the are attained, i.e. 1) max,min,max,min or 2) max,max,min,min
case 1 is easy, but i can't figure out how to do case 2
is this the right approach or is there an easier way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you phrased the question right? Your sentence ends abruptly and the hypothesis you used in the proof doesn't match the hypothesis you gave.

my bad. poor mistake for me to make

kfrob, stick to your guns and don't just admit you are wrong when you aren't. If you have either (min,max,min,max) or (max,min,max,min) if min<y<max how many times is f(x)=y if f is continuous? At least. Use the IVT. If it's (max,max) what does that mean?

i got that part, but i can't figure out how to show that f attains a given value 3 time if you have (max,max,min,min) or (min,min,max,max). drawing it i can see that is true, but any heuristic argument involves me saying that f has a "relative min" between the maximums and a "relative max" between the minimums. IVT is about as far as we've gotten so i can't make any argument about f'. is there a way to get around this?

If you have two different consecutive maxes, doesn't there have to be a min in between? Otherwise the function must be constant in between? Which means it achieves that value an infinite number of times?

i finally got it. thank you

Related to Proving Non-Continuity of a Function with Multiple Attained Values

1. What is the definition of continuity of a function?

The continuity of a function refers to the property of a function where there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph. In other words, the function is considered continuous if the graph can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

2. How can we determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if it satisfies three conditions: 1) the function is defined at that point, 2) the limit of the function at that point exists, and 3) the limit of the function at that point is equal to the value of the function at that point.

3. What is the difference between continuity and differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are often confused, but they are two different concepts. Continuity refers to the smoothness of a function, while differentiability refers to the existence of a derivative at a point. A function can be continuous but not differentiable, and vice versa.

4. Can a function be continuous but not differentiable?

Yes, a function can be continuous but not differentiable. For example, the absolute value function |x| is continuous but not differentiable at x = 0.

5. How can we prove that a function is continuous at a specific point?

To prove that a function is continuous at a specific point, we need to show that the three conditions of continuity are satisfied at that point. This can be done by evaluating the limit of the function at that point, and then comparing it to the value of the function at that point. If the two are equal, the function is continuous at that point.