Proving "If A U C = B U C then B = C" Without Drawing a Venn Diagram

In summary, based on the given information, it can be concluded that if AuB=AuC then B=C is not necessarily true.
caws
I am trying to prove this as false. Let A, B, C be any three sets.

If A U C = B U C then B = C. I can draw a Venn Diagram to prove this and I can assign values to the sets to prove it, but how can I prove without doing this? Also is the counter value A U C = B U C then B not equal to C? Can you prove using this? I am a bit confused by this problem. Maybe I am thinking too hard about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove something is not true, the nicest way of doing so is coming up with a counter-example.

For example if someone said that any irrational number times any irrational number is yet another irrational number then you could say something like:

[tex]\sqrt{2} \cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} = 1[/tex]

This really is the nicest way to prove something is not true.

As for your 2nd part, if is not true at least once, you can not then say from that it is always not true. If you want to prove it is always not true then you need to try and prove it on its own.

Can you think of 3 very simple sets, say with just two or three elements each, so that A U C= B U C but it is not true that A= B?

If I assign these elements

Set A = {1}
Set B = {1}
Set C = {2}

then assign it to my problem

A U C = B U C then B = C

A U C = {1, 2}
B U C = {1, 2}
which makes A U C = B U C true

But B does not equal C since 1 does not equal 2

Is there a way to prove this without assigning elements?

Sure, you're just proving that the original statement's negation is true. Of a statement S and its negation ~S, one is true and one is false. If ~S is true, then S is false. You're just proving that ~S is true. The negation of

1) For all A, B, and C, if A U C = B U C, then B = C

is

2) There exists some A, B, and C such that A U C = B U C and B ≠ C.

This is what your example shows. You can generalize your example. A = B and A ≠ C are conditions that satisfy (2).

And you can try to prove (2) however else you like.

If you want a general counter example consider what happens if A and B are subsets of C.

But to prove a general statement is NOT true only requires a single counter-example.

Absolutely, but sometimes understanding why something is false can be seen by considering how to make arbitrarily many counter examples. It might also prod the conscientious into working out what extra conditions might make the result true.

Actually, I may have misread the question. I assumed the question was:

show that if AuB=AuC then it is not necessarily true B=C.Actually what is written is:

show that if AuC=BuC then B=C is not necessarily true, which is surely typo, I mean, who would even think that that was true? At least the cancellation type problem is reasonable.

Last edited:
thanks all.. and also to HallsofIvy to the suggestion of making some simple sets. I submitted my homework and with the assigned variables and I received all points for this problem correctly.

1. What is the significance of proving "If A U C = B U C then B = C"?

The statement "If A U C = B U C then B = C" is a fundamental concept in set theory known as the "Union of Sets". It states that if two sets have the same union with another set, then these two sets must be equivalent to each other. Proving this statement is important because it helps to establish the relationship between sets and their unions, which is essential in many branches of mathematics and science.

2. Why is it necessary to prove this statement without using a Venn diagram?

Proving this statement without using a Venn diagram allows for a more generalized and abstract understanding of the concept. Venn diagrams are helpful for visualizing and understanding the concept, but they may not always be applicable or practical in certain situations. By proving this statement without relying on a Venn diagram, we can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and apply them to a wider range of problems.

3. Can this statement be proven using other methods?

Yes, this statement can be proven using various methods such as set identities, algebraic manipulation, and logical reasoning. The method used may vary depending on the specific problem and the individual's preferred approach. Regardless of the method used, the key is to understand the fundamental principles of set theory and apply them correctly to prove the statement.

4. What are the key steps to proving "If A U C = B U C then B = C"?

The key steps to proving this statement are as follows:
1. Start by assuming that A U C = B U C.
2. Use set identities and properties to manipulate the equation and simplify it.
3. Show that the equation simplifies to B = C.
4. Conclude that if A U C = B U C, then B = C.

5. How can this statement be applied in real-world scenarios?

The concept of "If A U C = B U C then B = C" has various applications in real-world scenarios, particularly in data analysis and statistics. For example, if two data sets have the same union with a third data set, then these two data sets are equivalent to each other, and the same operations can be performed on them. This statement can also be applied in decision-making processes, where two options may have the same outcome or impact on a certain situation.