Proving solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution and corresponding energy for a function of Ѱ=e^(-bx^2), where b=mw/2ħ. The individual is having trouble deriving the function and has concerns about the division in the exponent. They are advised to use the chain rule and reminded that b is just a constant and does not affect the differentiation process.
PFCJeff

Homework Statement

Hi guys. I've been working on this problem for a while, it's starting to frustrate me.

"Show that the function of Ѱ=e^(-bx^2) with b=mw/2ħ is a solution and that the corresponding energy is ħw/2."

Homework Equations

Schrodinger Eqn: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/imgqua/hosc2.gif
Ѱ=e^(-bx^2)
b=mw/2ħ

The Attempt at a Solution

What I first did is rewrote the entire exponential function to include b, then tried to differentiate it (problems with that). I'm thinking you have to differentiate that exponential function and insert it into schrodingers and solve for E (having to be ħw/2) ...I hope I'm not missing something or am completely off here, but I'd appreciate any help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to show it satisfies Schrodinger's equation, so plug in Ѱ=e^(-bx^2) on the left side, E=ħw/2 on the right side, and show that the two sides are equal.

right, ok. that's what i thought...
but I am having trouble on the d^2/dx^2 part once i plug in Ѱ=e^(-bx^2)

Why are you having trouble deriving it? Do you know the chain rule?

i know how to do the chain rule, but I'm having issues with deriving the exponential function (e), PLUS the division in the exponent...it's throwing me off completely, i don't even think I can formulate a proper derivation.

What division in the exponent? To derive e^(-bx^2), you first derive with respect to (-bx^2) by treating the whole thing as one variable. You get e^(-bx^2). Then you derive (-bx^2) with respect to x and multiply the two together. The final answer should be e^(-bx^2)*-2bx. Now you just need to derive it again to get the second derivative.

but b=mw/2ħ...
or am i allowed to just "plug" that in after? that was the division i was talking about.

after my second derivation, i get 2be^(-bx^2) * (2bx^2 - 1)

then i can sub in that equation for b? to me, it doesn't seem right, but i could be wrong...

Remember b is just a constant. It doesn't complicate the differentiation at all.

PFCJeff said:
after my second derivation, i get 2be^(-bx^2) * (2bx^2 - 1)

then i can sub in that equation for b? to me, it doesn't seem right, but i could be wrong...

Yes, that's right. As vela said, b is just a constant. The rules of calculus couldn't care less whether you choose to call the constant "b", "mw/2h", or "abcdefg/hijklkm"; no matter what name you give it, it's still just a constant.

1. What is Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator is a quantum mechanical model that describes the behavior of a particle in a potential well that is shaped like a parabola. It is commonly used in physics to study the dynamics of a system that exhibits simple harmonic motion.

2. Why is it important to prove a solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

Proving a solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of quantum systems and make accurate predictions about their properties. It also helps us to develop new technologies and improve our understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

3. What are the steps involved in proving a solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The steps involved in proving a solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator include setting up the Schrodinger equation, solving it using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or perturbation theory, and verifying that the solution satisfies the boundary conditions and physically reasonable properties.

4. What are the main challenges in proving a solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator?

The main challenges in proving a solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator include dealing with complex mathematical equations, ensuring that the solution is physically meaningful, and understanding the behavior of the system at different energy levels and boundary conditions.

5. How is the solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator used in real-world applications?

The solution for Schrodinger's Simple Harmonic Oscillator is used in many real-world applications, such as in quantum computing, laser technology, and the development of new materials. It also helps us to understand the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems, which has implications for fields such as chemistry, biology, and materials science.