Proving Sum (r^ncos(nt))=rcos(t)-r^2/(1-2rcos(t)+r^2

• Thread starter Byzantine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses a two-part question involving finding the summation formula for z=re^(it), where 0 < r < 1, and using a theorem to prove two equations involving the summation of r^n*cos(nt) and r^n*sin(nt). The conversation also mentions the use of the summation formula and a struggle with algebraic calculations. The solution involves starting the summation with n=1 instead of n=0.
Byzantine

Homework Statement

This is a two part question, though once one is solved the other should be the same process:

"Write z=re^(it), where 0 < r < 1, in the summation formula and then with the aid of the theorem show that

[itex]\sum[/itex] r^n*cos(nt) = (r cos (t) - r^2)/(1-2r*cos(t) + r^2)

when 0 < r < 1

And

[itex]\sum[/itex] r^n*sin(nt) = (r sin (t))/(1-2r*cos(t) + r^2)

Homework Equations

Summation formula:

[itex]\sum[/itex] z^n = (1/(1-z))

Theorem:

[itex]\sum[/itex]zn=S iff [itex]\sum[/itex]xn=X and [itex]\sum[/itex]yn=Y (zn=xn+iyn, S=X+iY)

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem seems to be algebraic: I used S=1/(1-z) to find, by multiplying by the conjugate, S=(1/(1-x-iy))=(1-x+iy)/(1-2x+x^2+y^2), where x=rcos(t), y=rsin(t). Which means that X=(1-rcos(t))/(1-2rcos(t)+r^2) and Y=rsin(t)/(1-2rcos(t)+r^2), and due to the above theorem that means that the first solution should be X and the second solution should be Y.

The second solution matches up with my answer, as does the denominator of the first with the solution, but the problem is that the numerators do not, and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong, or if 1-rcos(t)=rcos(t)-r^2, and if that is the case how I am supposed to justify it.

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem statement begins the sum with n=1, whereas your answer begins the sum with n=0.

Yes, that was it. Had to get help from a classmate to realize that was what happened.

Related to Proving Sum (r^ncos(nt))=rcos(t)-r^2/(1-2rcos(t)+r^2

1. What is the equation being proven in this statement?

The equation being proven in this statement is the sum of the product of r raised to the nth power and the cosine of nt, which is equal to the product of r and the cosine of t, minus r squared divided by the difference of 1 and 2 times r times the cosine of t, plus r squared.

2. How is this equation relevant in science?

This equation has applications in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model periodic phenomena, such as oscillations and waves, and also has applications in signal processing and circuit analysis.

3. Can you provide an example of a real-world scenario where this equation is useful?

One example is in the study of electrical circuits. The equation can be used to calculate the behavior of a circuit with a sinusoidal input, which is commonly encountered in electronics.

4. What is the significance of proving this equation?

Proving this equation provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between trigonometric functions and exponentials. It also allows for the development of more complex equations and models in various scientific fields.

5. What are the steps involved in proving this equation?

The steps involved in proving this equation would include using trigonometric identities and properties, such as the double angle formula and the sum-to-product formula, to manipulate the equation and arrive at the desired result. Additionally, knowledge of basic algebra and calculus may also be necessary to complete the proof.