Proving the Variance of the Logarithmic Series Distribution

In summary, the variance of a log distribution is a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean, calculated by taking the sum of squared differences and dividing it by the total number of data points. A high variance indicates a larger range of data values and a flatter distribution. It is closely related to the mean, with a higher mean resulting in a higher variance. The variance can never be negative, with a value of 0 indicating all data points are equal to the mean.
squenshl

Homework Statement

\textbf{The Logarithmic Series Distribution}. We will examine the properties of a the Logarithmic Series Distribution. We will check that is is a probability function and compute a general term for factorial moments and, hence, compute its mean and variance. This distribution is related to the Poisson distribution and has been examined extensively in the following article: Consider the function ##f(p) = -\ln{(1-p})## for ##|p| < 1##.
Let's define ##X^{(k)} = X(X-1)(X-2)\ldots (X-k+1)## we know that the factorial moment of ##N## is $$E\left(X^{(k)}\right) = -\frac{(k-1)!}{\ln{(1-p)}}\left(\frac{p}{1-p}\right)^k, \quad k = 1,2,3,\ldots$$
show that $$E(X) = -\frac{1}{\ln{(1-p)}}\frac{p}{1-p}$$
and that $$\text{Var}(X) = -\frac{1}{\ln{(1-p)}}\frac{p}{(1-p)^2}\left(1+\frac{p}{\ln{(1-p)}}\right).$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To calculate ##E(X)## we just set ##k = 1## in ##E\left(X^{(k)}\right)## to get
$$E(X) = -\frac{(1-1)!}{\ln{(1-p)}}\left(\frac{p}{1-p}\right)^1 = -\frac{1}{\ln{(1-p)}}\frac{p}{1-p}$$
as required. To calculate ##\text{Var}(X)## we first must find ##E(X^2)##. Apparently
$$E\left(X^2\right) = E[X(X - 1)] + E(X) = \frac{1}{-\ln(1 - p)} \frac{p}{(1 - p)^2}$$ but I can't seem to get this so I can't use the standard variance formula using expected values. I guess the question I'm asking is how do you calculate ##E[X(X - 1)]## everything else I can do. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have three equations, Firstly:
$$Var(X)=E[X^2]-(E[X])^2$$
which is true for any random variable ##X##, regardless of distribution (have you been given this theorem? If not, can you prove it? It's pretty easy)

Secondly
$$E[X^{(2)}]\equiv E[X(X-1)]=E[X^2-X]=E[X^2]-E[X]$$
where the last equality just uses the linearity of the expectation operator.

Thirdly
$$E[X^{(k)}]=-\frac{(k-1)!}{\log(1-p)}\left(\frac{p}{1-p}\right)^k$$

Subtracting the second equation from the first, you get an equation that gives ##\mathrm{Var}(X)## in terms of ##E[X^{(2)}]## and ##E[X]\equiv E[X^{(1)}]##. The third equation then allows you to express both those in terms of only ##p##.

Last edited:
Great thanks.

I have one more question. How do I show that, in general, $$E(X(X-1)) \geq E(X)E(X-1) = E(X^2)-E(X).$$

Still not sure how to prove this inequality. Not even sure where to start. Please help.

squenshl said:
Great thanks.

I have one more question. How do I show that, in general, $$E(X(X-1)) \geq E(X)E(X-1) = E(X^2)-E(X).$$
The proposition is not true in general. It may be true in your specific case though. To see whether it is, use the advice above to express ##E[X]## and ##E[X^2]## in terms of ##p## and see if the inequality holds. You can use linearity of the expectation operator to express ##E[X-1]## in terms of ##E[X]##.

Why would they ask to prove it then if it's not true in general??

If it works for the case above then wouldn't it be true anytime??

squenshl said:
Why would they ask to prove it then if it's not true in general??

If it works for the case above then wouldn't it be true anytime??
Ah, on reflection it actually is true in general.
To prove it, subtract the right side of the inequality from the left side and show that the left side is then equal to the variance of X, which we know must be positive (as it is defined as ##E[(X-E[X])^2]## and ##X## is real).

1. What is the variance of a log distribution?

The variance of a log distribution is a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean of the distribution. It tells us how much the data values deviate from the average value.

2. How is the variance of a log distribution calculated?

The variance of a log distribution is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, and dividing it by the total number of data points. This is then squared to get the final variance value.

3. What does a high variance in a log distribution indicate?

A high variance in a log distribution indicates that the data values are spread out over a larger range, meaning there is a greater difference between each data point and the mean. This can be seen as a "flatter" distribution.

4. How does the variance of a log distribution relate to the mean?

The variance of a log distribution is closely related to the mean. A higher mean value generally results in a higher variance, as the data points are further away from the mean. Similarly, a lower mean value will result in a lower variance.

5. Can the variance of a log distribution ever be negative?

No, the variance of a log distribution can never be negative. This is because the calculation of variance involves squaring the differences between data points and the mean, which will always result in a positive value. A variance of 0 indicates that all data points are equal to the mean.