Proving the Vector Identity: curl(r x curlF) + (r . ∇)curlF + 2curlF = 0

In summary, the given equation can be simplified using identities to show that it is equivalent to ##\nabla \times \nabla \times \vec{F} - \nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec{F}) + 2\vec{F} = 0##. This can be further simplified by expanding the vectors and using the fact that ##\vec{r} = (x, y, z)## to show that it is equal to zero.
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

Show that:
[itex]curl(r \times curlF)+(r.\nabla)curlF+2curlF=0[/itex], where r is a vector and F is a vector field.

(Or letting [itex]G=curlF=\nabla \times F[/itex]
i.e. [itex]\nabla \times (r \times G) + (r.\nabla)G+2G=0[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I used an identity to change it to reduce (?) it to
[itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G-(r.\nabla)G+(r.\nabla)G+2G[/itex]
[itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G+2G[/itex]

I'm not sure where to go from here to show that it's equal to zero. At the moment the only approach I know of is to compute all the components an hope they sum up to zero but surely there's another identity that can simplify this a bit further.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sub back G=curl.F

div.curl.F=?

Likes 1 person
0!
Which gives
[itex]((\nabla \times F).\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)(\nabla \times F)+2\nabla \times F[/itex]
or
[itex](G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G+2G[/itex]

One term less = a bunch of less components to deal with - I'll try expanding it out now and see where I get.

Now I've got:

[itex](G_1\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+G_2\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}+G_3\frac{\partial r}{\partial z})-(G\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}+G\frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y}+G\frac{\partial r_3}{\partial z})+2G_1+2G_2+2G_3[/itex].

When I expand out the vectors([itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}[/itex] into [itex]\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}[/itex], etc. and [itex]G[/itex] into [itex]G_1, G_2, G_3[/itex]), the diagonal terms cancel, i.e. [itex]G_1\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}i, G_2\frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y}j, G_3\frac{\partial r_3}{\partial z}k[/itex] . What I'm left with doesn't look like it sums to zero, however.

Last edited:
chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement

Show that:
[itex]curl(r \times curlF)+(r.\nabla)F+2curlF=0[/itex], where r is a vector and F is a vector field.

(Or letting [itex]G=curlF=\nabla \times F[/itex]
i.e. [itex]\nabla \times (r \times G) + (r.\nabla)G+2G=0[/itex])
Why did you change ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{F}## into ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{G}##?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used an identity to change it to reduce (?) it to
[itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G-(r.\nabla)G+(r.\nabla)G+2G[/itex]
[itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G+2G[/itex]

I'm not sure where to go from here to show that it's equal to zero. At the moment the only approach I know of is to compute all the components an hope they sum up to zero but surely there's another identity that can simplify this a bit further.

vela said:
Why did you change ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{F}## into ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{G}##?

Sorry, my mistake. IT should be ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\nabla \times \vec{F}##

I think you're supposed to use the fact that ##\vec{r}## is not just any vector but that it's equal to ##\vec{r} = (x, y, z)##.

What is a vector identity?

A vector identity is an equation that relates vector quantities and is valid for all values of the vectors. It is similar to an algebraic identity, but instead of numbers, it involves vectors and their operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

Why is proving vector identities important?

Proving vector identities is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of vectors and their operations. It also allows us to manipulate and simplify vector equations, making them easier to solve and apply in various scientific and mathematical contexts.

How do you prove a vector identity?

To prove a vector identity, you need to use the properties and laws of vector operations such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. You also need to use the definitions of vector quantities and any relevant trigonometric identities. By applying these principles and simplifying both sides of the equation, you can show that they are equal, thus proving the identity.

What are some common techniques used to prove vector identities?

Some common techniques used to prove vector identities include using geometric representations of vectors, using vector algebra, and using trigonometric identities. Another helpful technique is to manipulate one side of the equation until it looks like the other side, thus proving that they are equal.

Why is it important to double-check your work when proving vector identities?

It is important to double-check your work when proving vector identities because even a small mistake in the manipulation of vectors or their operations can lead to an incorrect solution. Additionally, some vector identities may look similar but have subtle differences, so it is crucial to ensure that the equation is manipulated correctly to prove the specific identity in question.