Proving the Vector Identity: curl(r x curlF) + (r . ∇)curlF + 2curlF = 0

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
chipotleaway
Messages
174
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show that:
[itex]curl(r \times curlF)+(r.\nabla)curlF+2curlF=0[/itex], where r is a vector and F is a vector field.

(Or letting [itex]G=curlF=\nabla \times F[/itex]
i.e. [itex]\nabla \times (r \times G) + (r.\nabla)G+2G=0[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution


I used an identity to change it to reduce (?) it to
[itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G-(r.\nabla)G+(r.\nabla)G+2G[/itex]
[itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G+2G[/itex]

I'm not sure where to go from here to show that it's equal to zero. At the moment the only approach I know of is to compute all the components an hope they sum up to zero but surely there's another identity that can simplify this a bit further.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
0!
Which gives
[itex]((\nabla \times F).\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)(\nabla \times F)+2\nabla \times F[/itex]
or
[itex](G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G+2G[/itex]

One term less = a bunch of less components to deal with - I'll try expanding it out now and see where I get.
 
Now I've got:

[itex](G_1\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+G_2\frac{\partial r}{\partial y}+G_3\frac{\partial r}{\partial z})-(G\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}+G\frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y}+G\frac{\partial r_3}{\partial z})+2G_1+2G_2+2G_3[/itex].

When I expand out the vectors([itex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}[/itex] into [itex]\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}[/itex], etc. and [itex]G[/itex] into [itex]G_1, G_2, G_3[/itex]), the diagonal terms cancel, i.e. [itex]G_1\frac{\partial r_1}{\partial x}i, G_2\frac{\partial r_2}{\partial y}j, G_3\frac{\partial r_3}{\partial z}k[/itex] . What I'm left with doesn't look like it sums to zero, however.
 
Last edited:
chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement


Show that:
[itex]curl(r \times curlF)+(r.\nabla)F+2curlF=0[/itex], where r is a vector and F is a vector field.

(Or letting [itex]G=curlF=\nabla \times F[/itex]
i.e. [itex]\nabla \times (r \times G) + (r.\nabla)G+2G=0[/itex])
Why did you change ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{F}## into ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{G}##?

The Attempt at a Solution


I used an identity to change it to reduce (?) it to
[itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G-(r.\nabla)G+(r.\nabla)G+2G[/itex]
[itex](\nabla.G)r+(G.\nabla)r-(\nabla.r)G+2G[/itex]

I'm not sure where to go from here to show that it's equal to zero. At the moment the only approach I know of is to compute all the components an hope they sum up to zero but surely there's another identity that can simplify this a bit further.
 
vela said:
Why did you change ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{F}## into ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\vec{G}##?

Sorry, my mistake. IT should be ##(\vec{r}\cdot\nabla)\nabla \times \vec{F}##
 
I think you're supposed to use the fact that ##\vec{r}## is not just any vector but that it's equal to ##\vec{r} = (x, y, z)##.