Proving this trignometric identity

• Thread starter hms.tech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equation \frac{cos(x)-1}{(1-cos(x))^{3}} = -\frac{1}{4sin^{4}(0.5x)} and suggests using the double angle formula. The conversation also mentions expanding (1-\cos(x))^2 and expressing \sin(x/2) in terms of sin and cos. The final suggestion is to expand the equation in powers of Sin(x)/Cos(x).
hms.tech

Homework Statement

Prove that :

[itex]\frac{cos(x)-1}{(1-cos(x))^{3}}[/itex] = -[itex]\frac{1}{4sin^{4}(0.5x)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

None that I can think of.
Maybe the double angle formula...

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't do much in this question :

-[itex]\frac{1}{(1-cos(x))^{2}}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Things to try: expand [itex](1-\cos(x))^2[/itex] and expressing [itex]\sin(x/2)[/itex] in terms of just sin and cos.

Yes, use the double angle formula.

ehild

micromass said:
...and expressing [itex]\sin(x/2)[/itex] in terms of just sin and cos.

What exactly do you mean by that ?

Should I expand it in powers of Sin(x)/Cos(x) ?

hms.tech said:
What exactly do you mean by that ?

Should I expand it in powers of Sin(x)/Cos(x) ?

Use double angle formula. What is cos(2x) in terms of sin? Similarly, what is cos(x)?

FAQ: Proving this trignometric identity

1. How do I know if a trigonometric identity is true?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using known identities and algebraic techniques to show that it is equivalent to the other side. This process is similar to solving an algebraic equation, but with the added step of using trigonometric identities.

2. What are some common trigonometric identities to use when proving an identity?

Some common identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, sum and difference identities, and reciprocal identities. It is important to be familiar with these identities and how to apply them in order to effectively prove a trigonometric identity.

3. Can I use a calculator to prove a trigonometric identity?

While a calculator can be helpful for checking your work, it cannot be used to prove a trigonometric identity. Proving an identity involves using algebraic techniques and known identities, not simply plugging in values into a calculator.

4. Are there any tips for making the process of proving a trigonometric identity easier?

One tip is to start by simplifying one side of the equation using known identities and then working towards the other side. It can also be helpful to rewrite trigonometric functions in terms of sine and cosine, as this can sometimes make it easier to see how they can be manipulated.

5. What should I do if I am stuck or cannot prove a trigonometric identity?

If you are struggling to prove an identity, you can try working backwards from the other side of the equation or consulting a trigonometric identity table for additional identities that may be useful. It can also be helpful to ask a teacher or tutor for assistance. Remember to keep practicing and studying identities to improve your skills.

Back