1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving trace of (1,1) Tensor is a scalar

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1

trv

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a tensor Mab, Prove that its trace is a scalar.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To prove the trace is a scalar, I know I have to prove it doesn't transform under coordinate transformations.

Now, we can transform M^a_b as follows.
    M'cd=(dx'c/dxa)(dxb/dx'd)Mab

For the trace Maa, the transformation is as follows. I've used the Kronecker delta for changing Mab to Maa. ( Am I along the right lines in doing so?).
    M'cd=(dx'c/dxa)(dxb/dx'd)Mab(Kronecker deltaab)

Then I thought using the delta I change dxb to dxa and cancel the two dxa. However that would then the delta away from Mab, leaving it as Mab as before rather than Maa.

That's the best I can do, please help.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The way you are doing it leaves your indices way out of balance. You've got three a indices and three b indices on the right side. Multiply both sides by [tex]\delta_c^d[/tex] and use the chain rule for partial derivatives.

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3

trv

Ok, so its,

To get the transformation equation for the trace, multiply both sides by delta cd[/SUB}

M'cd(delta cd)=(dxb/dx'd)(dx'c/dxa)Mab(delta cd)

Thus,
    M'cc=(dxb/dx'c)(dx'c/dxa)Mab

By chain rule,

M'cc=(dxb/dxa)Mab

Now dxb/dxa=delta ab

Thus,

M'cc=Maa

Now, we can change the dummy variable c---> a. (I've seen this being done. Is it allowed only for indices that are being summed over, and thus don't affect other terms?)

Thus,
    M'aa=Maa
    i.e. Maa is invariant under coordinate transformations. Therefore Maa the trace of Mab is a scalar.

OK I get it, thanks Dick. Can someone check the dummy variable bit however.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if a variable is summed, it doesn't matter what it's name is. I would put interchange the c and d on your delta though. You've got two c indices up. In the summation convention you usually want one up and one down.

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5

trv

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6

trv

If I may quickly add another quick question.

Mab in primed x-coordinates is denoted simply by adding the prime, i.e. M'ab.

Instead if I was transforming Mab into the y-coordinates. How can I denote that?

8. Apr 21, 2009 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I understand your question, then you just write the same formula with y instead of x'. But I probably don't. How do you indicate M is a tensor in the y coordinate system?

9. Apr 22, 2009 #8

trv

Hi again Dick. Yeh, you misunderstood my question, but I managed to find out what I wanted.

Apparently Mab can be written as Mxab for the tensor in the x-coordinate system and Myab for the y-coordinate system.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook