Can You Prove This Trigonometry Equation?

In summary, you are trying to solve for cos(A/2)+cos(B/2)+cos(C/2) from the following equation: cos(A/2)+cos(B/2)+cos(C/2) = 4cos [(B+C)/4]*cos [(C+A)/4]*cos [(A+B)/4] using the identity cosxcosy=(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y))/2. Once you have cos(A/2)+cos(B/2)+cos(C/2) you can use the simpler method of replacing A+B on the right side with \pi-C and C+A and B+C
Mr.Krypton
I'm new to this forum, anyhow thanks for the admin making such forum, doesn't matter !

I've been trying this calculation for one day still no answer,

Homework Statement

cos (A/2)+cos (B/2)+cos (C/2)=4cos [(B+C)/4]*cos [(C+A)/4]*cos [(A+B)/4]

A+B+C = pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Cos C+Cos D=2cos[(C+D)/2]*cos[(C-D)/2]

with above equation tried no use !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no one to help me?

Mr.Krypton said:
I'm new to this forum, anyhow thanks for the admin making such forum, doesn't matter !

Homework Statement

A+B+C = pi

Homework Equations

What is D?

Although you didn't say this, it looks like you are supposed to show that the equation above is an identity. So there is no "calculation" to do - just show that the left and right sides of the equation are the same for any values of A, B, and C that add up to [itex]\pi[/itex] radians.

Since the assumption is that A + B + C = [itex]\pi[/itex], you can replace A + B on the right side with [itex]\pi[/itex] - C, and do something similar with C + A and with B + C.

Mark44 said:
What is D?

Although you didn't say this, it looks like you are supposed to show that the equation above is an identity. So there is no "calculation" to do - just show that the left and right sides of the equation are the same for any values of A, B, and C that add up to [itex]\pi[/itex] radians.

Since the assumption is that A + B + C = [itex]\pi[/itex], you can replace A + B on the right side with [itex]\pi[/itex] - C, and do something similar with C + A and with B + C.

D is nothing it just a formula to solve the above ! btw thanks for ur help, I got a simple clue
let me try !

Ah! I missed that line with A+B+C=Pi
That changes things!

Mr.Krypton said:

Homework Statement

A+B+C = pi

There may be a simpler method. The way I did it is somewhat involved.

cos x + cos y = 2cos[(x+y)/2]*cos[(x-y)/2] is a place to start.

Then, cos (A/2)+cos (B/2) = 2cos[(A/2+B/2)/2]*cos[(A/2-B/2)/2] = 2cos(A/4+B/4)*cos(A/4-B/4)

Also, notice that A/2 + B/2 + C/2 = pi/2 , so that C/2 = π/2 - (A/2 + B/2) .

Therefore, cos (C/2) = cos(π/2 - (A/2 + B/2)) = sin(A/2 + B/2) = sin(2(A/4 + B/4)) .

And sin(2(A/4 + B/4)) = 2sin(A/4 + B/4)*cos(A/4 + B/4) .

Now you have cos (A/2)+cos (B/2)+cos (C/2) = 2cos(A/4+B/4)*cos(A/4-B/4) + 2sin(A/4 + B/4)*cos(A/4 + B/4) .

Factor out 2cos(A/4+B/4) .

That's a start. Still a ways to go.

I would do it just backwards... The proof is very simple if you apply the identity cos(x)cos(y)=cos(x+y)+cos(x-y) to the right-hand side twice.

ehild

Last edited:
I go ahead for those who read this thread. I will rename the variables, so A/2=a, B/2=b, C/2=c.

Prove that

cos(a)+cos(b)+cos(c)=4cos(0.5(a+b))*cos(0.5(a+c))* cos(0.5 (c+b)), if a+b+c=pi/2.Using the identity cosxcosy=(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y))/2

cos(0.5(a+c))* cos(0.5 (b+c))=0.5[cos( 0.5(a+b+2c))+cos(0.5(a-b))],

multiplying with 4cos(0.5(a+b)):

2cos(0.5(a+b))*[ cos(0.5(a+b+2c))+cos(0.5(a-b))]=

=[cos(0.5(2a+2b+2c))+ cos(0.5(a+b+2c-(a+b))]+[ cos(0.5(a+b)+0.5(a-b))+ cos(0.5(a+b)-0.5(a-b))]=

=cos(a+b+c)+cos(c)+cos(a)+cos(b)=cos(pi/2)+cos(a)+cos(b)+cos(c) ,

equal to the LHS of the original equation.
ehild

Last edited:

What is a trigonometry equation?

A trigonometry equation is a mathematical expression that relates the angles and sides of a triangle. It is used to solve for missing angles or sides in a triangle.

What is the process for proving a trigonometry equation?

The process for proving a trigonometry equation involves using the trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate the equation and show that both sides are equal. This is typically done through algebraic manipulations and substitution of known values.

Why is proving a trigonometry equation important?

Proving a trigonometry equation is important because it allows us to verify the accuracy of the equation and ensure that it can be used to solve for various values in a triangle. It also helps us understand the relationships between the angles and sides of a triangle.

What are some common trigonometric identities used in proving equations?

Some of the most commonly used trigonometric identities in proving equations include the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities help us manipulate the equation and show that both sides are equal.

What are some tips for successfully proving a trigonometry equation?

Some tips for successfully proving a trigonometry equation include starting with one side of the equation and manipulating it to look like the other side, using the properties and identities in a systematic manner, and checking your work at each step. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the trigonometric functions and their properties.