Are the Sets P and Q Equal? Investigating 3-Tuples in the Natural Numbers

• Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining if the sets P and Q are equal by showing that an arbitrary element of one set also belongs in the other set. The conversation also mentions that numbers satisfying a^2 + b^2 = c^2 have been classified, which may be helpful in solving the problem.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
Sorry if this doesn't come out right- figuring out how to state it is part of my problem.
Let P be the set of all 3-tuples (a, b, c) in N such that a2 + b2 = c2 and a < b.
Let Q be the set of all 3-tuples (x, y, z) in N such that x = m(2n + 1), y = m(2n2 + 2n), and z = m(2n2 + 2n + 1) for some m and n in N.
I want to figure out if P = Q. I know that for all sets S and T, (S = T) is equivalent to (S is a subset of T and T is a subset of S), but I don't know where to begin. Should I try to prove that for all 3-tuples t in N, if t is in P, then t is in Q and if t is in Q, then t is in P? Should I state it a different way (I tried, but it seemed more complicated)?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What you want to do is take an arbitrary element of one set and show it belongs in the other set. One way appears easy. Take a 3-tuple in Q (x,y,z). Leaving m and n undefined consider [tex]x^2 + y^2[/tex]. Does it equal [tex]z^2[/tex]. The other way is harder. Take a 3-tuple in P (a,b,c). You know that [tex]a^2+b^2= c^2[/tex]. Can you find m and n integers such that the first two requisites are satisfied? If you can the 3rd requisite is satisfied automatically by the work done earlier.

Also numbers that satisfy [tex]a^2+b^2 =c^2[/tex] have been completely classified so looking that up may help.

Good luck,
Steven

I want to figure out if P = Q. I know that for all sets S and T, (S = T) is equivalent to (S is a subset of T and T is a subset of S), but I don't know where to begin. Should I try to prove that for all 3-tuples t in N, if t is in P, then t is in Q and if t is in Q, then t is in P? Should I state it a different way (I tried, but it seemed more complicated)?

Yes, what you have stated sounds correct, and is a typical approach. One alternative approach is:

x is in P ==> x is in Q
x isn't in P ==> x isn't in Q

Yeah, Q is a subset of P was easy- just manipulation. I couldn't get anywhere trying to prove the other half, so I gave up, went searching, and found (8, 15, 17). Eh. x = d(n2 - m2), y = d2nm, and z = d(n2 + m2), for d in N and relatively prime n > m in N supposedly works (I haven't checked), but by this my counterexample above is actually (15, 8, 17), so I guess I just need to lose a < b - my brain is pudding now, so I'll look at it later. Thanks for the help. :smile:

1. How do you prove two sets are equal using the subset method?

To prove that two sets are equal using the subset method, you need to show that each set is a subset of the other. This means that every element in one set is also in the other set, and vice versa.

2. What is the process for proving two sets are equal using the element method?

The element method involves showing that every element in one set is also in the other set, and vice versa. This can be done by listing out the elements in each set and comparing them to show that they are the same.

3. Can you prove two sets are equal by showing that they have the same cardinality?

Yes, two sets can be proven to be equal if they have the same cardinality, or number of elements. This can be done by showing a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets.

4. What is the difference between proving two sets are equal and proving they are equivalent?

Proving two sets are equal means showing that they contain exactly the same elements. Proving two sets are equivalent means showing that they have the same properties and characteristics, even if they do not have exactly the same elements.

5. Is it possible for two sets to be equal but not equivalent?

No, if two sets are equal, then they must also be equivalent. This is because if they have the same elements, then they must also have the same properties and characteristics.