Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving two sets are equal

1. Apr 12, 2005 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Sorry if this doesn't come out right- figuring out how to state it is part of my problem.
    Let P be the set of all 3-tuples (a, b, c) in N such that a2 + b2 = c2 and a < b.
    Let Q be the set of all 3-tuples (x, y, z) in N such that x = m(2n + 1), y = m(2n2 + 2n), and z = m(2n2 + 2n + 1) for some m and n in N.
    I want to figure out if P = Q. I know that for all sets S and T, (S = T) is equivalent to (S is a subset of T and T is a subset of S), but I don't know where to begin. Should I try to prove that for all 3-tuples t in N, if t is in P, then t is in Q and if t is in Q, then t is in P? Should I state it a different way (I tried, but it seemed more complicated)?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2005 #2
    What you want to do is take an arbitrary element of one set and show it belongs in the other set. One way appears easy. Take a 3-tuple in Q (x,y,z). Leaving m and n undefined consider [tex]x^2 + y^2[/tex]. Does it equal [tex]z^2[/tex]. The other way is harder. Take a 3-tuple in P (a,b,c). You know that [tex]a^2+b^2= c^2[/tex]. Can you find m and n integers such that the first two requisites are satisfied? If you can the 3rd requisite is satisfied automatically by the work done earlier.

Also numbers that satisfy [tex]a^2+b^2 =c^2[/tex] have been completely classified so looking that up may help.

Good luck,
    Steven

4. Apr 12, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, what you have stated sounds correct, and is a typical approach. One alternative approach is:

x is in P ==> x is in Q
    x isn't in P ==> x isn't in Q

5. Apr 13, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, Q is a subset of P was easy- just manipulation. I couldn't get anywhere trying to prove the other half, so I gave up, went searching, and found (8, 15, 17). Eh. x = d(n2 - m2), y = d2nm, and z = d(n2 + m2), for d in N and relatively prime n > m in N supposedly works (I haven't checked), but by this my counterexample above is actually (15, 8, 17), so I guess I just need to lose a < b - my brain is pudding now, so I'll look at it later. Thanks for the help. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?