Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pspice schematic

1. Aug 10, 2004 #1
    In my schematic, i have vdc = 10v, a resitor,ground and a capcitor. All 3 are in series except ground. When I run simulation, I get a straight line at 10v instead of a curve from 0 to 10v. I put the voltage probe between resistor and cap btw.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're probably doing a bias-point simulation instead of a transient simulation. You might also want to try using a step source instead of VDC source.

- Warren
  4. Aug 10, 2004 #3
    i'm pretty sure i'm doing a transient simulation cuz in the sim profile it says so.

Is it necessary to use a step source instead of vdc? On my worksheet that my teach gave me, it shows vdc.
  5. Aug 24, 2004 #4
    Dc is okay , but the program may calc the initial bias point which may be the same as your final. ( skip this if you can ) . other wise use a step dc. or a switch . Make sure you time step is small enough so it makes sense . Pspice is almost always correct but the setup is usually the problem. Ray.
  6. Aug 24, 2004 #5
    time scale

I think rayjohn may be on to somehting there - make sure your time scale is small enough.

For instance, if your circuit has a time constant of 10us and you simulate it for 10s, the response over the full simulation time will likely look like a steady 10V.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?