Pull-up resistors w/ tracks for DDR2 SDRAM.

• Thread starter fiedel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of DDR2 signals with resistors and how to determine the power consumption. It also mentions the importance of length and impedance matching for the tracks connecting the resistors to VTT or signals. The speaker suggests looking at a PC mainboard for reference in terms of pull-up size and length adjustment. However, they are unsure about the impact of impedances in this scenario.
fiedel
When pulling up DDR2 signals with resistors, how to decide the power consumption of them, or I can just use 0402 resistors? And for the tracks connecting the resistors to the VTT (or the resistors to the signals), is there a impedance matching problem? Should them be of the same length?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a look at a PC mainboard that uses DDR2. The pull-ups are easy to find. Just use the same size as that manufacturer uses. Yes from what I understand length is critical. Again take a look at a PC mainboard, you will see many "wiggly" lines that adjust the lengths. I don't know about impedances though.

I thought the wiggly lines are such signals like data and address, but not pull-ups...

What are pull-up resistors and why are they used in DDR2 SDRAM?

Pull-up resistors are components used in electronic circuits to ensure that a voltage signal remains at a stable level. In DDR2 SDRAM, pull-up resistors are used to help regulate the flow of data and reduce the chances of signal interference.

How do pull-up resistors work with DDR2 SDRAM?

In DDR2 SDRAM, pull-up resistors are placed on the data, address, and control lines. These resistors help to pull the voltage level to a stable state, preventing fluctuations and ensuring that data is transmitted accurately and reliably.

What is the recommended value for pull-up resistors in DDR2 SDRAM?

The recommended value for pull-up resistors in DDR2 SDRAM is typically between 330 ohms and 1 kilohm. However, the exact value may vary depending on the specific design and requirements of the circuit.

What happens if pull-up resistors are not used in DDR2 SDRAM?

Without pull-up resistors, the voltage levels on the data, address, and control lines may fluctuate and cause signal interference. This can result in errors in data transmission and potentially lead to system malfunctions or failures.

Are there any alternatives to using pull-up resistors in DDR2 SDRAM?

Yes, there are alternative methods for regulating voltage levels in DDR2 SDRAM, such as using termination resistors or active termination circuits. However, pull-up resistors are a commonly used and effective solution for this purpose.