Rolling & Pulley Homework: Find Max Mass for Cylinder to Roll

In summary: Remember the problem text Find the maximum mass 2 so that the cylinder rolls without slipping.Remember the problem text Find the maximum mass 2 so that the cylinder rolls without slipping.The problem with that is that you don't know the acceleration.Remember the problem text Find the maximum mass 2 so that the cylinder rolls without slipping.The problem with that is that you don't know the acceleration.
Carbon123

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder is attached by a rope on its center.It has mass of 5kg and is lying on a table.The other end of the rope is a block of mass m2 which is not on the table .if the coeficient of friction between cylinder and table is 0.2.Find the maximum mass 2 so that the cylinder rolls without slipping.

Homework Equations

F=ma τ=I α

The Attempt at a Solution

Because it is rolling without slipping;f=1/2*5*a
T-f=5*a m2g-T=m2a and the a of cylinder centre is the same as a of the object.but i am stuck with bot knowing the accelleration.And is the coerficient of friction of any use ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The description is not crystal clear. I take it the cylinder is lying on the table with the rope either attached at the highest point or wrapped around it. Either way, the rope is horizontal at height 2r above the table, yes?
WinstonC said:
How do you get that? What are all the horizontal forces on the cylinder?

haruspex said:
The description is not crystal clear. I take it the cylinder is lying on the table with the rope either attached at the highest point or wrapped around it. Either way, the rope is horizontal at height 2r above the table, yes?

How do you get that? What are all the horizontal forces on the cylinder?
The problem text says that " A solid cylinder is attached by a rope on its center."

ehild said:
The problem text says that " A solid cylinder is attached by a rope on its center."
That can mean any of several things. Attached to the centre of the disc at one end; or, if attached to the centre of the side of the cylinder, at what height from the ground (given that the cylinder is lying on its side)? I would guess it means at the highest point, and going off horizontally (tangentially).

haruspex said:
That can mean any of several things. Attached to the centre of the disc at one end; or, if attached to the centre of the side of the cylinder, at what height from the ground (given that the cylinder is lying on its side)? I would guess it means at the highest point, and going off horizontally (tangentially).

I think this is the set-up: the rope is attached to the axis of the cylinder :
upload_2016-7-29_13-23-46.png

upload_2016-7-29_13-18-43.png

WinstonC said:

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder is attached by a rope on its center.It has mass of 5kg and is lying on a table.The other end of the rope is a block of mass m2 which is not on the table .if the coeficient of friction between cylinder and table is 0.2.Find the maximum mass 2 so that the cylinder rolls without slipping.

Homework Equations

F=ma τ=I α

The Attempt at a Solution

T-f=5*a m2g-T=m2a and the a of cylinder centre is the same as a of the object.but i am stuck with bot knowing the accelleration.And is the coerficient of friction of any use ?
You know that the maximum friction can be f=μ(5g).

ehild said:
I think this is the set-up: the rope is attached to the axis of the cylinder :
View attachment 104049
View attachment 104048
That is indeed another possibility. But one thing it cannot be is attached, literally, to the centre of the cylinder.

haruspex said:
That is indeed another possibility. But one thing it cannot be is attached, literally, to the centre of the cylinder.
You are right. But the problem makers usually think in two dimension :) The OP followed that scheme shown in my picture, his only problem was that he eliminated the known force of friction, and so he had two many unknowns.

ehild said:
problem makers usually think in two dimension
That argues in favour of my interpretation, which only requires the cylinder to be shown and thought of as a disc. But I accept that your reading is at least as likely.

Ehild's picture is the problem i was trying to interpretate.Is such problwm solvable? I don't know if the variable a and m2 can be solved with the dynamics equation.

WinstonC said:
Ehild's picture is the problem i was trying to interpretate.Is such problwm solvable? I don't know if the variable a and m2 can be solved with the dynamics equation.
Remember the problem text
Find the maximum mass 2 so that the cylinder rolls without slipping.
You did not calculate with the friction although the coefficient of friction was given. If the cylinder rolls, there is static friction between the cylinder and the table. The static friction is f<μmg, m is the mass of the cylinder, 5 kg and μ=0.2. If the cylinder has so big acceleration, that the force of friction reaches μmg, the cylinder is on the verge to slip. You know that maximum force of friction. Instead of eliminating it from the equations, determine the acceleration a and the mass m2 from the condition that f= 5*0.2*g

1. How do rolling and pulleys work together to find the maximum mass for a cylinder to roll?

Rolling and pulleys work together by reducing the amount of friction and allowing for an easier transfer of force. The pulley system applies a force to the cylinder, causing it to roll instead of slide. This reduces the amount of friction between the cylinder and the surface, allowing for a higher maximum mass to be rolled.

2. What factors affect the maximum mass for a cylinder to roll?

The maximum mass for a cylinder to roll is affected by the radius of the cylinder, the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the surface, and the angle at which the force is applied. A larger radius, lower coefficient of friction, and higher angle will result in a higher maximum mass that can be rolled.

3. How can I calculate the maximum mass for a cylinder to roll?

The maximum mass for a cylinder to roll can be calculated using the equation M = (μRcosθ)/(1-μsinθ), where M is the maximum mass, μ is the coefficient of friction, R is the radius of the cylinder, and θ is the angle at which the force is applied.

4. Can the maximum mass for a cylinder to roll be increased?

Yes, the maximum mass for a cylinder to roll can be increased by decreasing the coefficient of friction between the cylinder and the surface, increasing the radius of the cylinder, or increasing the angle at which the force is applied. Using a pulley system can also increase the maximum mass by reducing friction.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding the maximum mass for a cylinder to roll?

Understanding the maximum mass for a cylinder to roll is important in various industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and construction. It can also be applied in sports equipment design and in understanding the stability of objects on inclined surfaces.