Pulley but the cable is at an angle?

In summary: If system is released from rest, how long does it take m2 to reach the end of table.m2 will reach the end of the table in less than .5 seconds.
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your equation for the sliding box. You assume that the tension is equal to the weight of the hanging box. Think: If the tension was 280 N would the hanging box accelerate at all?
Check your signs in the equation for the vertical motion. Will the box accelerate upward or downward?

ehild

ehild said:
Check your equation for the sliding box. You assume that the tension is equal to the weight of the hanging box. Think: If the tension was 280 N would the hanging box accelerate at all?
Check your signs in the equation for the vertical motion. Will the box accelerate upward or downward?

ehild

I meant to say that the tension of the falling box is equal to the resultant tension of the sliding box. The tension in the x direction would be cos (10) * Tension of falling box.

Why did you took the tension 2.80 N?

ehild

Note also that as the block on the table moves towards the pulley, the angle of the cable will change (grow larger). The acceleration is going to change with the position of that block. Looks like there will be a differential equation to solve.

The tension (resultant and tension for the hanging box) was calculated using the weight of the hanging box.

Also, I'm in a Trig based physics course and we CAN'T do derivatives, actually we're not supposed to.

amd123 said:
The tension (resultant and tension for the hanging box) was calculated using the weight of the hanging box.

Also, I'm in a Trig based physics course and we CAN'T do derivatives, actually we're not supposed to.

Then it would appear that the problem was poorly chosen for the class!

Note that the tension in the cable is also going to depend upon the acceleration, not just on the weight of the hanging block.

Suppose the cable were cut so that the hanging block could fall freely (equivalent to reducing the sliding mass to zero). What would be the tension in the cable? It would be zero because there's nothing to pull against! So clearly the tension depends upon both the masses and the acceleration of both.

Gneill is right, this problem is much harder I thought at first sight: It needs Calculus to solve.
If you get similar problems (but not complicated by angles) the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the hanging mass only if it does not accelerate, as the acceleration of the hanging mass is a =(W-T)/m.ehild

ehild said:
Gneill is right, this problem is much harder I thought at first sight: It needs Calculus to solve.
If you get similar problems (but not complicated by angles) the tension in the rope is equal to the weight of the hanging mass only if it does not accelerate, as the acceleration of the hanging mass is a =(W-T)/m.

ehild

I wish my PhD prof would realize this

What was the original text of the problem? Was the string said unstretchable? As the picture shows, the horizontal and vertical displacements can not be equal (the hypotenuse of the upper triangle is longer than its horizontal side).

ehild

In the diagram above, m1 = 285g, m2 = 755g, theta = 10.0 degrees, and mu = .047.
If system is released from rest, how long does it take m2 to reach the end of table.

Assum m1 can fall atleast 2.50 m.

OK, m2 can fall more than 2.5 m. But the problem is horrible. Ask your Prof how would he solve it. That angle will change unless the pulley is very far from the edge of the table.

ehild

1. How does the angle of the cable affect the performance of the pulley system?

The angle of the cable can affect the mechanical advantage of the pulley system. The smaller the angle, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to lift heavy objects. However, as the angle increases, the mechanical advantage decreases and more force is required to lift the same weight.

2. Can I use a pulley at an angle instead of straight up and down?

Yes, a pulley can be used at an angle instead of straight up and down. However, as mentioned before, the mechanical advantage will be affected by the angle and more force may be required to lift the same weight.

3. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley at an angle?

The mechanical advantage can be calculated by dividing the load (weight being lifted) by the effort (force applied to lift the load). To account for the angle of the cable, the load and effort should be divided by the sine of the angle.

4. What is the ideal angle for a pulley system to achieve maximum mechanical advantage?

The ideal angle for maximum mechanical advantage depends on the specific pulley system and the weight being lifted. In general, smaller angles (closer to zero degrees) will provide a greater mechanical advantage. However, it is important to consider the stability and safety of the system when choosing the angle.

5. Can I use multiple pulleys at different angles to increase the mechanical advantage?

Yes, using multiple pulleys at different angles can increase the mechanical advantage of the system. This is known as a compound pulley system and can be used to lift heavier objects with less force.