Proving T=H+q*h in a Catenary Spanned Cable

• Thread starter dirk_mec1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catenary
In summary: Why?Think of a beam with uniform weight per unit length and a uniform distributed load over its length. The weight and the load are perpendicular to the beam. What happens if you tilt the beam?In summary, the tension at the top is greater than the tension at the bottom due to the weight of the cable.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

A cable is spanned between two points at the left touching the ground and at the right smoothly spanned over a large roller. Assume that there's no friction present. The tension left at the bottom is H and the tension T at the top is such that T>H. The cable has a weight per unit length q and is spanned over an height h and is in static equibrilium.

Prove that:

T = H +q*h

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/537/96775335.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the roller would give reaction forces perpendicular to the cable but other students told me that it works like a pulley and since there's the assumption that there's no friction I can disregard these forces, right? But I still don't know how to prove that formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

Calculus and Analytic Geometry by Thomas...

Can you guide my in the right direction with the info of the book? Or give me the right chapter of the book?

Last edited:
Chapter 10, third edition. The title of the chapter is Hyperbolic Functions.

Got it but it probably doesn't work if it's a beam instead of a cable, right? What happens with the expression if it is a beam?

How do you "smoothly span" a beam over a roller? A beam is a different animal.

I mean no friction suppose that at the ends there's no shear force or bending moment (or at least negliglible) is the formula still valid?

The reason why the cable pulls on both ends is because it cannot support itself. It has no resistance to bending stress - actually a cable does to a slight extent. If a beam could be bent over the frictionless pulleys such that it is horizontal where it touches them, it would remain there if undisturbed.

Think of a wheelbarrow with a load in it and a good set of bearings on its wheel. If you raise it, it does not want to run away from you. Yet, it is tilted upward.

1. What is a catenary spanned cable?

A catenary spanned cable is a type of cable used in bridge construction that follows the shape of a catenary curve, which is the natural shape taken by a hanging chain or cable when supported at its two ends.

2. What does T=H+q*h mean in relation to a catenary spanned cable?

T=H+q*h is the equation used to calculate the tension (T) in a catenary spanned cable, where H is the horizontal component of the cable's weight and q is the linear weight density of the cable per unit length (usually expressed in pounds per foot) multiplied by the horizontal distance (h) from the lowest point of the cable to any point along its length.

3. How do you prove that T=H+q*h in a catenary spanned cable?

To prove that T=H+q*h in a catenary spanned cable, you can use the principles of static equilibrium to show that the forces acting on the cable are balanced and that the equation holds true. This can be done by setting up a free body diagram and using the equations of equilibrium to solve for the tension in the cable.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the equation T=H+q*h in a catenary spanned cable?

The accuracy of the equation T=H+q*h in a catenary spanned cable can be affected by several factors, including the weight and density of the cable, the distance between support points, and external forces such as wind or temperature changes. Additionally, the equation assumes a perfect catenary curve, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.

5. How is the equation T=H+q*h used in the design of catenary spanned cables?

The equation T=H+q*h is an essential tool in the design of catenary spanned cables, as it allows engineers to calculate the necessary tension in the cable to support the weight of the bridge and any additional loads. This information is crucial in determining the appropriate materials and dimensions for the cable, ensuring the safety and stability of the entire structure.