Calculating Table Force for 77N Box and 30N Weight

In summary, to determine the force that the table exerts on the box in this scenario, the equation F=mg-T can be used. By setting the tension of the box equal to the tension of the weight, the equation can be simplified to F=mg-ma. With the weight of the hanging weight known (30N), the mass of the box (m) can be calculated using the formula ma=mg-T. Substituting the values and solving for m, the final equation becomes F=53.5N. This means that the force exerted by the table on the box is 53.5N.
SUXinPHY

Homework Statement

a box weighing 77N rest on a table. a rope tied to the box runs vertically upward over a pulley and a weight is hung from the other end. determine the force that the table everts on the box if the weight hanging on the other side of the pulley weighs 30N.

(box in on the left n weight on the right hand side of the pulley)

Homework Equations

box
F=mg-T
ma=mg-T
weight
F=T-mg
ma=T-mg

The Attempt at a Solution

i let

T of box= T of weight
mg-ma=ma-mg
2ma=30N + 77N
ma=107N / 2
F=53.5N

(i think i am missing something in the equation)

Physics news on Phys.org
If the weight hanging opposite the box was 77N, what force would the table exert?

i am not sure but i will be guessing its a normal force...

The table only exerts a force equal to what is not supported by tension in the rope.

As one of your formulas you have T of box= T of weight. You know that since the system is at rest and the weight is suspended the tension has to be equal to the weight. The tension in the rope is pulling up on the box with a force equal to the weight. The table supports the difference between the weight of the box and the weight of the weight.

alright i think i get wat u mean... if i go wrong i will let u know

1. How do you calculate the table force for a 77N box and 30N weight?

To calculate the table force, we need to use the equation: Table Force = Weight of Box + Weight of Weight. In this case, the table force would be 77N + 30N = 107N. This means that the table is exerting a force of 107N to support the weight of the box and weight.

2. What is the unit of measurement for table force?

The unit of measurement for table force is Newtons (N). This is a unit of force in the International System of Units (SI) and is equivalent to 1 kilogram-meter per second squared (kg•m/s²).

3. Is the table force the same as the weight of the box and weight?

No, the table force is not the same as the weight of the box and weight. The weight of an object is the force of gravity acting on that object, while table force is the amount of force the table is exerting to support the weight of the box and weight.

4. Can the table force be greater than the weight of the box and weight?

Yes, the table force can be greater than the weight of the box and weight. This means that the table is exerting more force than the weight of the objects, and it is strong enough to support them.

5. How does the weight and size of the table affect the table force?

The weight and size of the table can affect the table force. If the table is heavier and larger, it may be able to support more weight and exert a greater force. However, the material and construction of the table also play a significant role in determining the table force.