1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley problem

1. May 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There's two blocks of mass m_{A} and m_{B} which are linked by an ideal string. The block of mass A descends at constant speed. There's no friction. If the pulley is ideal, which one of the following is true

upload_2017-5-19_0-33-15.png
    2. Relevant equations
    Newton laws and trigonometry I think.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that the correct answer is the second one, but the first one is marked as correct so I wanted a second opinion.
    My reasoning is the following: If the speed is constant it means there is no acceleration, so the sum of the forces is 0. Then I decomposed gravity in the component that's compensated by the normal force done by the triangle and it's perpendicular component. So I arrived to
    m_{A} (1/2) = m_{B} sqrt(3)/2
    Now that I check, it isn't item 2. it would fall in item 1 as 1/sqrt(3) is between 0.25 and 0.6
    Right?

sorry for the typos, I broke my keyboard yesterday (I won't drink coffee while on computer again) and I'm with a rubber one until a new one arrives, at least it's better thanthe one that windows have to use with the mouse.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2017 #2
    Working it out very quickly, and thus prone to error, I think the first answer is correct.

4. May 18, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

5. May 19, 2017 #4
    Absolutely correct! Way of solving by simply taking their Sine components of 'g' and solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted