Pulling mass on flat plane at an angle.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block being pulled along a rough surface with a constant applied force at an angle. The normal force and coefficient of friction are derived, and the graphs of speed and displacement are discussed. The conversation also mentions a question about the maximum acceleration the block can have while maintaining contact with the surface.
TexasCow

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is pulled along a rough horizontal surface by a constant applied force of magnitude F that acts at an angle theta to the horizontal. The acceleration is a. Express all algebraic answers in terms of m, F, theta, and a.
A. Derive an equation for the normal force
B. Derive an expression for the coefficient of friction between the block and surface.
Sketch the graphs of speed v and displacement x as teh functions of time if the block started at rest at x=0 and t=0

Homework Equations

Fy=(Applied force)(Sin(theta))
Fx=(Applied force)(Cos(theta))
Fnet=(mu)(Normal force)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well for part A, I figure that since it was being pulled at an angle that would provide for a lower normal force.

Normal Force=(Fg-Fy) *Fy is the y component of the force vector.
For the coefficient of friction, I don't know if I am supposed to derive an equation that soves for mu, or just the equation that factors in mu.

Here is what I have for part B:
Ff=u[Fg-Fy]

And for the graphs I am kind of lost. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
=(Fg-Fy) *Fy is

Why you multiplied it by Fy?
It's kind of very rare(in dynamics) to multiply forces . . .

Ff=u[Fg-Fy]
here u is the coefficient of friction so, you do have it factored out.

Add all the horizontal forces(or analyze them), you will find an equivalent for Ff as net 'a' is provided.

For graphing, either use work-energy relationship or
simply use kinematicss,
you know 'a', and it is constant

the *Fy was sort of a side info comment. It isn't part of the equation. Are you saying that my friction equation is correct? I'm sorry but I'm still somewhat confused on the graphs as well.

as Ff = uFn
and so you know Fn is W-Fy
so yea, it is correct.

so acc. = a
and so how its related to x,v,t?
You don't need forces or dynamics for this question.

Ignore that Work-energy, I thought they are asking for v,x relationship

But, You cannot draw graph, as you are not given any numerical value.

Well...
A=v/t

This is an old AP question that asks for a graph. I would agree too but there is some type of solution out there.

Another question that is on the back that I didn't notice was:

-If the applied force is large enough, the block will lose contact with the surface. Derive an expression for the magnitude of the greatest acceleration Amax that the bllock can have and still maintain contact with the ground.

So, Fy = Fg

and F = Fy.sintheta

you may draw an approximation graph, like if it's linear draw a straight line...

Related to Pulling mass on flat plane at an angle.

1. What is "pulling mass on flat plane at an angle"?

"Pulling mass on flat plane at an angle" refers to the act of exerting a force on an object with mass, causing it to move along a flat surface at a certain angle relative to the surface.

2. What factors affect the amount of force needed to pull a mass on a flat plane at an angle?

The amount of force needed to pull a mass on a flat plane at an angle is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the angle at which it is being pulled, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is being pulled on.

3. How does the angle of the surface affect the amount of force needed to pull a mass?

The angle of the surface has a direct impact on the amount of force needed to pull a mass. As the angle increases, the force required to pull the mass also increases due to the component of the gravitational force acting against the direction of motion.

4. Can the amount of force needed to pull a mass on a flat plane at an angle be calculated?

Yes, the amount of force needed can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the surface.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect pulling a mass on a flat plane at an angle?

The coefficient of friction plays a crucial role in pulling a mass on a flat plane at an angle. It is a measure of the resistance between the object and the surface it is being pulled on. A higher coefficient of friction means more force is needed to overcome the resistance and pull the mass, while a lower coefficient of friction requires less force.