How can I prevent overheating in a Pulse Detonation Engine (PDE)?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a PDE and the difficulty of finding a suitable material for the detonation chamber and thermal barrier coating due to high temperature. The question is whether using pyrolytic graphite for the TBC is a viable solution and how to calculate the required thickness. A suggestion is made to potentially use a layer of air or air/fuel as a boundary layer to prevent heating of the combustion chamber/surface.
mylovelyamber
Hi,
I'm new here and I'm really hoping that someone could answer my question.
i am trying to design a PDE but the problem about this is that the temperature caused by detonation (3461 K) is so high that it is really difficult to find a suitable material for the detonation chamber and thermal barrier coating (TBC). Does anyone have a suggestion on this?

and if i were to use pyrolytic graphite for the TBC, how am I supposed to calculate what is the required thickness, if the melting point of my detonation chamber material is 1773K? i don't have the rate of heat flow. is there an industrially typical/ideal heat flow rate across the walls of engines?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
This might be a completely mad suggestion, but I'm reminded of the fact that the Apollo/Soyuz/Dragon space capsule design prevents the capsule from heating by having a blunt shape which tends to push the superheated plasma around the body of the spacecraft heatshield on a cushion of compressed air.

Mybe you could exploit a similar effect - have a layer of air or air/fuel which acts as a boundary layer and prevents the material of the combustion chamber/surface (is this a shockwave rider?) from heating.

Good luck!

1. What is a Pulse Detonation Engine (PDE)?

A Pulse Detonation Engine (PDE) is a type of propulsion system that uses repetitive detonation waves to generate thrust, rather than traditional continuous combustion. It is a highly efficient and powerful engine that has the potential to revolutionize the aerospace industry.

2. How does a Pulse Detonation Engine work?

A PDE works by igniting a fuel-air mixture in a combustion chamber, which creates a detonation wave. This wave travels through the chamber, compressing and heating the mixture to extremely high temperatures and pressures. The resulting expansion of the gases creates a powerful thrust, propelling the engine forward. The cycle of ignition, detonation, and exhaust is repeated continuously to generate sustained thrust.

3. What are the advantages of a Pulse Detonation Engine?

PDEs have several advantages over traditional combustion engines. They are more efficient, producing higher thrust with less fuel consumption. They also have a simpler design and fewer moving parts, making them more reliable and easier to maintain. Additionally, PDEs can operate at higher altitudes and speeds, making them ideal for space travel and supersonic flight.

4. What are the potential applications of a Pulse Detonation Engine?

PDEs have the potential to be used in a wide range of applications, from aircraft and spacecraft propulsion to power generation and industrial machinery. They could also be used to improve the performance and efficiency of existing engines, such as in hybrid vehicles or gas turbines.

5. What are the challenges facing the development of Pulse Detonation Engines?

Although PDEs have many advantages, there are still several challenges that need to be addressed for their widespread use. These include controlling and stabilizing the detonation process, managing high temperatures and pressures, and developing reliable and lightweight materials to withstand the extreme conditions. Further research and development are needed to overcome these challenges and make PDEs a viable option for propulsion and power generation.