Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulse Detonation Engine (PDE)

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I'm new here and i'm really hoping that someone could answer my question.
    i am trying to design a PDE but the problem about this is that the temperature caused by detonation (3461 K) is so high that it is really difficult to find a suitable material for the detonation chamber and thermal barrier coating (TBC). Does anyone have a suggestion on this?

and if i were to use pyrolytic graphite for the TBC, how am I supposed to calculate what is the required thickness, if the melting point of my detonation chamber material is 1773K? i dont have the rate of heat flow. is there an industrially typical/ideal heat flow rate across the walls of engines?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2
    This might be a completely mad suggestion, but I'm reminded of the fact that the Apollo/Soyuz/Dragon space capsule design prevents the capsule from heating by having a blunt shape which tends to push the superheated plasma around the body of the spacecraft heatshield on a cushion of compressed air.

Mybe you could exploit a similar effect - have a layer of air or air/fuel which acts as a boundary layer and prevents the material of the combustion chamber/surface (is this a shockwave rider?) from heating.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook